Fruit

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a veggie lover, so tend to get my 5 a day from fruit, but can you have too much fruit? I usually have 2 pieces for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then 1 or 2 after my evening meal. My preferred fruits are berries of any sort, grapes, pears, bananas and satsumas. The only time I can eat apples is stewed and mixed with other fruits, either blueberries, mixed frozen fruit or rhubarb.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Don't have any fruit AT ALL for a bit. It's sugar.
2. Start testing, and see if you can have berries -- strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, maybe red and black currants (you can get them frozen).
"Exotic" or tropical fruit is the worst. Testing will tell you.

Reactions: 6 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello joyola
I used to eat lots fruit until I got my meter and started testing, I found that most fruits made my bg levels rocket. The worst ones for me are Bananas, grapes and oranges, I limit myself now to a small portion of berries or a small (fun size) Apple.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, forgot ...
3. Eat berries with double cream if poss to iron out the BS rise.
How are you doing with the rest of your diet?

*EDIT* Ok, I checked back and you're doing great. Just the fruit needs sorting and judging by your overall diet you may be able to combine some fruit with other things safely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't seem to suffer sugar spikes with the fruit, yesterday my waking BS was 5.4, I had banana and strawberries for breakfast. Black grapes and raspberries at lunch and at teatime I had a pear, after a serving of roast Mediterranean veg, 2 hrs later, after medication, my BS was 5.4 . All I had after that was a cup of tea, no sugar and 2 small pieces of cheese.
Re the point about double cream with berries, I don't like cream, gives me acid reflux, I don't eat cereals, and I keep food containing flour to a minimum as that seems to cause bloating and makes me feel very uncomfortable.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would eat veg and salad every day for 2 months till your taste changes..you will like them in the end
I don't have any fruit or juice.
I Think I have too much fructose already, T2 makes up to 10x more fructose out of glucose than a normal person.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybOPCB2Qd4
upload_2015-3-5_14-37-33.png

upload_2015-3-5_14-37-56.png

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even my nurse warned me about eating too much fruit, she recommended no more than 3 pieces a day. Much as I like berries I only shop once a week and they never seemed to keep that well no matter what I tried. I also like fruit on the unripe side so what I consider 'gone' others might consider still edible. I still have a small citrus (Satsuma, clemetines etc) most days, but banana, grapes and necterines are very much a special treat.

As with anything, try them and test to find out how you cope.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got some of those boxes from Asda, or at least some that look identical, the berries still only last a few days for me. I have a feeling that they get thrown around and chilled too much before I get them. Normally I buy them Saturday morning and if I am lucky I get a use by date of Monday, even using those boxes by Tuesday the berries are past it for me.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I don't seem to suffer sugar spikes with the fruit, yesterday my waking BS was 5.4, I had banana and strawberries for breakfast. Black grapes and raspberries at lunch and at teatime I had a pear, after a serving of roast Mediterranean veg, 2 hrs later, after medication, my BS was 5.4 . All I had after that was a cup of tea, no sugar and 2 small pieces of cheese.
Re the point about double cream with berries, I don't like cream, gives me acid reflux, I don't eat cereals, and I keep food containing flour to a minimum as that seems to cause bloating and makes me feel very uncomfortable.
the only real way to see what effect those fruits are having on your BG is to test 2 hours after eating them. Then you'll see the actual effect on your BG. you may be surprised, or you may be lucky enough to be able to eat them with little spiking.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When are you testing for this fruit? You need to test before you eat then again 2 hours after your first bite to see what sort of spike you get, and with fruit, particularly banana, you need to also test an hour after your first bite because they are very fast release. Bananas turn to glucose the minute you put them in your mouth I'm afraid (that's why athletes nibble them during competitions). If you don't like cream, try full fat yogurt and throw in a few berries (a few!)

I'm not a veggie lover either so I understand where you are coming from. I eat what I do like (not a lot) and then overdose on mushrooms mainly.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's probably worth doing a meter reading after 1 hour too if you are eating sweeter fruit.

Robbity

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

If fruit doesnt badly affect your bg levels then there is absolutely no reason for you not to eat it.

I eat an apple with my lunch and an orange after my diner most days without any bad rise in levels. Thats not to say you can but if you can then why not eat fruit?

Fruit is rich in vitamins and minerals and if your not eating much in the way of vegitables then you need to get your nutrients somewhere else.

Reactions: 5 people

Oil Drum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Under ripe fruit has a lower sugar content than fully ripe fruit.
The sugar content of fruits differ you will find league table for different kinds of fruit on the net but there is a lot of conflicting information .
What fruits are lower sugar is quite surprising ---- a grape contains 3 times as much sugar as strawberry of similar weight !

Raspberries, Blackberries and Cranberries, Water Melon are lower sugar
Strawberries, Pine Apple medium,
Bannas Apples Oranges high end of medium.
Must avoid are grapes, cherries mango and pomegranates
Remember also it depends on how big a portion size

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If fruit doesnt badly affect your bg levels then there is absolutely no reason for you not to eat it.

I eat an apple with my lunch and an orange after my diner most days without any bad rise in levels. Thats not to say you can but if you can then why not eat fruit?

Fruit is rich in vitamins and minerals and if your not eating much in the way of vegitables then you need to get your nutrients somewhere else.

For once,(maybe twice) I agree with Sid, I can tolerate a piece of fruit through the day and the fruit I eat don't spike me.
I know I'm weird but everyone's tolerance is different.
If it was a newbie I'd advise against so much.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To help keep your berries fresh, I use lock and lock boxes. They are airtight and this stops the berries going off as quickly. This is what I put them in http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/locklock/rec_hpl805.php but at Morrisons they are only about 70p.

@))Denise(( I find that my lock and lock containers tend to sweat as they're airtight, so I don't put my fruit in mine as I'm worried about it getting mouldy over the week. So do I give them a try??

Robbity

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Robbity I use the small lock and lock that hold 100g. I've just opened one with blueberries in it that have been out of the fridge since Friday morning and they are fine. If you can get the Morrison's ones then 70p is not much to try one out