Fruity breath

woodstar65

Hi there has any one else had fruity breath or a constant sweetness in there mouth. Feels like your gums are sweet. If so can you in-lighten me please.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi there has any one else had fruity breath or a constant sweetness in there mouth. Feels like your gums are sweet. If so can you in-lighten me please.

Have you tested your Blood Glucose levels? Fruity breath and constant sweetness can be associated with severe hyperglycaemia and ketoacidosis.

Check your BG and Ketones, then respond accordingly: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-ketoacidosis.html

If you haven't been able to get your blood glucose levels down then you need to call 111 and seek medical advice asap.

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with @ConradJ

I haven't heard the diabetic "pear drop breath" term since the 1980s. But it is associated with high BS..

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with @ConradJ

I haven't heard the diabetic "pear drop breath" term since the 1980s. But it is associated with high BS..

The pear drop smell is ketones.
When they told me about it when I was diagnosed (in intensive care with DKA), I vividly remembered if from school chemistry ;)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
since pear drops aren't eaten much now, the other example often given is nail varnish remover.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
since pear drops aren't eaten much now, the other example often given is nail varnish remover.

Well that's cleared it up then... err... I don't paint my nails - what does it smell like? :facepalm: (lol)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Agree with @ConradJ

That's what a doctor said in 1989, it was a classic sign of type 1, very high blood glucose.

woodstar65

Hi sorry for not replying was busy sorting my bloods out. I tend to keep them high as I do a lot of driving. Which I know is bad for me but if I take any time off my boss has threatened me with dismissal. Any back to the point I hadn't realised I had let them go so high. Also my meter does key tone measurements. My bloods didn't register on the meter and my key tones were 2.6. Have got them sorted now. But it wasn't pear drops that I kept tasting more like sugary sweet. I didn't know I had bad breath as know one said. I am looking for s better job so I can look after my self better, but until then I do need to earn a living. Thanks for everyone's concern.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi sorry for not replying was busy sorting my bloods out. I tend to keep them high as I do a lot of driving. Which I know is bad for me but if I take any time off my boss has threatened me with dismissal. Any back to the point I hadn't realised I had let them go so high. Also my meter does key tone measurements. My bloods didn't register on the meter and my key tones were 2.6. Have got them sorted now. But it wasn't pear drops that I kept tasting more like sugary sweet. I didn't know I had bad breath as know one said. I am looking for s better job so I can look after my self better, but until then I do need to earn a living. Thanks for everyone's concern.

Hey no worries,

I'm just glad to hear that you are okay.

I fully understand about the job situation - I used to do that as well (fear of hypos whilst driving ).

Your boss sounds like a total **** - diabetes or not, you're better off out of it.

What do you do for a living, and where are you based? (Who knows, there maybe someone on the forum who's looking for someone like you!?!)

Best wishes.

C.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What happened to pear drops anyway?

Nothing, you can still buy them in some of the big supermarkets like Tesco's and traditional sweet shops.

@woodstar65, it would be the best thing all round if you got a job change, good luck with finding something else.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Please take heart in knowing there is actually a large number of "D blind" bosses out there capable of offering opportunities..
I have notified mangers in the past of my T1 when offered a change in position regarding driving. (They had no idea prior.) the news was just accepted with a blank look & a slight shrug. Most just want a good worker! ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's what a doctor said in 1989, it was a classic sign of type 1, very high blood glucose.
Probably goes back to the dark ages with the "sugar sickness" when the tasted pee & smelled breath as a diagnosis..?! o_O

woodstar65

Unfortunately my boss thinks he's an expert on diabetes due to google. He is always watching what I eat and drink too. It wouldn't be so bad if I thought he was looking out for me. He is looking for a way to get rid of some employees without paying redundancy. He only comes to work to stop people spending money.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately my boss thinks he's an expert on diabetes due to google. He is always watching what I eat and drink too. It wouldn't be so bad if I thought he was looking out for me. He is looking for a way to get rid of some employees without paying redundancy. He only comes to work to stop people spending money.

Would this boss be a "new broom" perchance?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Probably goes back to the dark ages with the "sugar sickness" when the tasted pee & smelled breath as a diagnosis..?! o_O

Thank goodness it was just my breath :wideyed: he probably smelt it from outside and followed the 'smell' upstairs to where I was lol

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
That brings back to many memories of when I was diagnosed and I did like pear drops,way back in 1963.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

How long have you been working there? If over a year you might have grounds for constructive dismissal and breach of the Equality Act 2010, citing harassment and bullying by his actions.

Start logging what he does, says and the way it's making you feel and look after your diabetes. (Eg. Running high when driving to prevent hypos owing to his attitude.)

If nothing else, it could help you focus on making your move out of there.