Frustrated with Medical Team

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes.

The Diabetes nurse told me nothing except gave me a diet sheet and a prescription for metformin.

Three weeks later, I see my Doctor (today). She is confused as to why I am there. So I remind her about my HbA1c test and she asked to see me?

She (Doctor) Thought Nurse had already booked me in for eyes, more blood tests, inspected my feet and booked me on a DESMOND course. Most of the things she listed I had not heard of, and she was not best pleased with nurse. I said nothing uncomplimentary on that score.

So I am off to the hospital again on Friday for blood tests, urine tests and a few other things unrelated to Diabetes. Test requests on my notes which I didnt know about. The results of most of which should have been ready for the Doctor to discuss with me today. So thats a double appointment wasted, cos the doctor spent the whole time doing what the nurse should have done. And I have had to book another double appointment in 2 weeks time to do what should have been done today. With me so far?

Now, there is a lot more, but I will just use Eye Tests as an example of the problems of getting the right care here:

I should have been referred for an eye test, a special diabetic eye test. Because the nurse didnt do it, I missed the annual screening van which came 2 weeks ago and wont be back (according to my doctor) for 12 months.

She say for me to go to my opticians for the test as she doesnt want me to wait 12 months. So I trundle off to the opticians who inform me that they no longer do tests, any optician at all. Only the official NHS screening services do tests. They suggest I ask the pharmacist where get a test.

Still with me?

So I trundle off to the pharmacist - who doesnt know either, but finds me the phone number of Diabetes UK to ring.

I get home and they are busy so dont answer the phone, so I go on the website, where I find a link to the NHS screening services.

I phone NHS screening services who say “Oh, we are going to your surgery again next week, your doctor should know that” and book me in fro next Thursday.

Dont get me wrong, everyone is being as kind and helpful as can be, but they dont seem to communicate!!!!

and as for the prescriptions fiasco, and the other things, I wont even start on them.

Why dont the Diabetes team know things? Why dont they give out a checklist of what to ask for and ask about?

I dont have time to earn a living,or deal with my illnesses, I am too busy chasing the medical team!!!!

If it wasnt for the kindness of those who have helped me on the Diabetes Forum, Iwould be lost and helpless.

I dont mind doing my organising if I just know what to organise and where and with whom. I didnt even suspect there would need to be certain tests. And if you dont know, and no-one mentions them, what do you do?…………. we are not mind-readers (well, I’m not)

I am just scared i will miss a vital bit of investigation or test or help because no-one told me about it and i didn’t know to ask. If that makes sense.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Many of us have had problems with our local surgery or HCP with regard to diabetes so I'm not too surprised. It does sound, however, that your surgery is particularly poorly organised. It sounds as if you may not be located near a city centre etc? I have my annual eye screening done at my local hospital and your surgery really ought to be able to organised this for you. Once you are on the screening list you will get reminders from the screening service directly. My local Boots does excellent screening automatically and for free when I have my annual eye test as I have diabetes. It's almost as good as the hospital but they don't dilate the pupils; the images I've seen were very good and would show up any obvious problem. Now that you're having the right blood and urine tests hopefully your meeting with the doc should be more constructive. One point about the diet sheet you have been given. The NHS is notorious amongst most on this forum for recommending carbs with every meal etc. Our view is to ignore this advice based on our shared experience and go for a low carb diet; there is a wealth of information on the forum for good eating. Good luck with your next appointment and come back with any questions.

A

Anonymous

I have to wait three months to get any of the things you are getting sorted out right now Lucy. You are making it look like you have been fast tracked!!!!

Unbeliever

Tut tut Lucy! Every newly diagnosed diabetic must pay for their own mond reading course before anything else1

of course you are there for your medical team and no vice versa. heaven help you if you don't ge to grips with the mind reading asap.

On the positive side you are sounding like an experienced diabeic already!

Seriously though, if they are not going o do the things they are supposed to do what is the use of them atall. The NHS may as well save the money.
You will probably find yourself in hot water soon for not arranging tests you didn't even know about.