Full time job....

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Having type 1 diabetes is a bit like having a full time job. Which would be fine (in relative terms!) if I didn’t already have a full time job,. You know, they kind you do most week days which helps pay the bills/keep a roof over your head, etc. So, effectively, I have 2 full time jobs. And to make matters worse, I only get paid for doing one of them! I’m not sure who invented that little concept but I definitely wasn’t consulted when the plans were drawn up ;-)

I know, I know, many people today have more than 1 job. But do they have to do them simultaneously I wonder? If they work in an office (for example) and they are preparing to go to a meeting away from their desk, do they have to consider any of the following: How long will they be away from their desk? Do they need to take their entire handbag/manbag or just their testing kit/insulin/quick acting glucose option? When did they last test? Should they test again before they go into the meeting? Will the meeting require them to be actively involved or take more of a bystander approach? Will they be asked questions or have to present? Will any food be available? If so, will they need to test/bolus accordingly? When did they last eat? How much insulin do they have ‘on board’? Will stress levels cause their BG to drop lower than expected? Will basal insulin need to be reduced to cover any drops in BG due to stress? Will concentration be affected due to any of the aforementioned issues? What happened at the last meeting they were involved in? Did they go low/high or stay stable? What were the circumstances involving that particular meeting (see all possible factors above)? Will ‘external’ people be at the meeting (ie: people that don’t work at the same company and potentially don’t know that you have type 1 diabetes so may need to be warned about needles/testing etc in case they have a phobia)? How long will it take to explain the situation to those people and will the people who have already heard it 1000 times be a little bit bored?! When biscuits are offered around will you be avoided with the standard ‘oops, sorry, you can’t have these, can you!’ comments?

Sorry for the rant, I’ve just about had enough of type 1 diabetes today! I suspect tomorrow will be no different ;-)

imalittlefishy

A friend of mine sent this to me a while ago - I thought of it when reading your post! And yep, I feel like this too sometimes, no way round it but you're not alone :roll:

Attachments

• diabetics mind.jpg
    diabetics mind.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 858

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Ha ha! thanks, that's brilliant! :lol: :D 8)

skhwoody

i think we all have off days. There are some days, i hate it. and just wish it would go away. Picturte was great by the way

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Man bag? hmmmm i didnt know i had the option to leave it behind, wouldnt that kinda hurt?

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wish it was just full time, at least with a full time job you get a day off and a holiday, after 45 years I'd love 2 weeks off

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Great OP. sums up how I feel at work very often. Normal 'life things' are happening all around causing the usual worry, stress and anxiety (yes with a bit of laughter and happiness thrown into the mix) but all the time the diabetes questions are all mixed in there too. My brain feels fried a lot of the time!! All consuming ****** of a thing :crazy: