Funny walks

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Lately I've realised that I quite often weave around when walking and feel quite heavy-footed so that my hips jar. I also sometimes forget what is happening with my feet when walking downstairs (I can't really describe that very well!) But I also sometimes forget what is happening when I'm changing gears in the car too so it might be a 'brain hiccup'. Obviously I shall ask the DN about it but I wondered if anyone else has had anything similar? My fear is it might be signs of peripheral neuropathy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you suggesting your "motor skills" in your legs when performing brief repetitive tasks like pacing a walk, negotiating stars, & the very brief pedal operation of changing gear while driving.?

Have you had any brief confusion with the clutch, accelerator or brake pedal in your car..?
I have seen something like this with my type2 dad many years ago.. Especially the car thing.
I could totally be wrong & have no wish to alarm..!!

I would urge you to see a proper Doctor... & not to just "bring it up" with a DN.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't believe I'm doing this again! @Indy51 you have created a monster! I'm seeing vit b12 deficiency everywhere!

Indy posted a very interesting video link on p10 of the 'cured' thread.
Apparently vit b12 deficiency is often mistaken for a number of other things - coordination probs amongst them.
Especially prevalent amongst vegetarians.

Might be worth asking for a blood test while you are at the doctors, if only for the process of elimination.

If you are deficient, you may need injections, not home supplementation.

Reactions: 3 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Jaylee, you have put it more eloquently than I managed! And the vitamin B12 query had also occurred to me Brunneria. I'd feel a bit cheeky asking the GP for a B12 check so soon after twisting his arm for a Vitamin D check!

I think I'll run it past the DN first, since I have my annual check on Monday anyway, as a prelude to seeing my GP about it.

What was the cause for the symptoms in your Dad @Jaylee?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee, you have put it more eloquently than I managed! And the vitamin B12 query had also occurred to me Brunneria. I'd feel a bit cheeky asking the GP for a B12 check so soon after twisting his arm for a Vitamin D check!

I think I'll run it past the DN first, since I have my annual check on Monday anyway, as a prelude to seeing my GP about it.

What was the cause for the symptoms in your Dad @Jaylee?

Hi Sunspots,

OK, background on my dad.. At the time he was a fit for age slim guy who looked younger than his years. He'd "officially retred" about 3 times but enjoyed getting up for a job, so carried on with employment. An occasional smoker out of the sight of us kids & a drinker, he'd stopped al that 30 years previously.. Diagnoed a T2 in his late 70's? He was not the sort of bloke to like a fuss...

So. This is where the "car thing" kind of rings bells for me.
About ten years ago I had a call at work from my dad. (We don't speak much.) His words were "I think I may have had a stroke".
I tore round the house took him to A&E & he was admitted & diagnosed with what they call a "mini stroke" after tests it was found that he'd only lost the use of his left arm.. After I argued with professionals he always spoke like that through clenched teeth.. He was a quiet man.
He actually recovered & after a brief spell was proclaimed by his doc fit enough to drive. He even went back to work at his part time job!

I mentioned that he was the sort to "not make a fuss"... I believe he suffered another series of these "mini strokes" but kept on blagging normal life until he finally got caught out... The clues In hindsight for me were there. Including an episode one morning I visited when he was revving the nuts of his car on the drive. When I intervened he told me the "clutch had gone."
He's no mechanic, but I am, & an inspection on the master cylinder & hydraulics for any leaks & then a test run proved the vehicle in great running order.
He seemed ok for a while & then my mum called me up about 6 years ago.
They had come back from a shopping trip, he'd stalled the car at a junction & forgotten how to drive. Which freaked my mum out.
A passer by drove them home (my mum can't drive.) & an ambulance was called to their address..
He was diagnosed with dimentia..
I feel the succession of mini strokes may have exacerbated this....& so did his doc.

Hence why I urge a Doctors appointment...

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Sunspots,

OK, background on my dad.. At the time he was a fit for age slim guy who looked younger than his years. He'd "officially retred" about 3 times but enjoyed getting up for a job, so carried on with employment. An occasional smoker out of the sight of us kids & a drinker, he'd stopped al that 30 years previously.. Diagnoed a T2 in his late 70's? He was not the sort of bloke to like a fuss...

So. This is where the "car thing" kind of rings bells for me.
About ten years ago I had a call at work from my dad. (We don't speak much.) His words were "I think I may have had a stroke".
I tore round the house took him to A&E & he was admitted & diagnosed with what they call a "mini stroke" after tests it was found that he'd only lost the use of his left arm.. After I argued with professionals he always spoke like that through clenched teeth.. He was a quiet man.
He actually recovered & after a brief spell was proclaimed by his doc fit enough to drive. He even went back to work at his part time job!

I mentioned that he was the sort to "not make a fuss"... I believe he suffered another series of these "mini strokes" but kept on blagging normal life until he finally got caught out... The clues In hindsight for me were there. Including an episode one morning I visited when he was revving the nuts of his car on the drive. When I intervened he told me the "clutch had gone."
He's no mechanic, but I am, & an inspection on the master cylinder & hydraulics for any leaks & then a test run proved the vehicle in great running order.
He seemed ok for a while & then my mum called me up about 6 years ago.
They had come back from a shopping trip, he'd stalled the car at a junction & forgotten how to drive. Which freaked my mum out.
A passer by drove them home (my mum can't drive.) & an ambulance was called to their address..
He was diagnosed with dimentia..
I feel the succession of mini strokes may have exacerbated this....& so did his doc.

Hence why I urge a Doctors appointment...

Thanks Jaylee. I'll try to get one sorted although I'm sure it's nothing that major. It's just that it is persistent enough that I keep being reminded there's something not quite right. The last thing I ignored for a year or so turned out to be the diabetes so I've been trying to pay more attention.

I'm sorry your dad ended up with dementia; awful for him and all your family.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee. I'll try to get one sorted although I'm sure it's nothing that major. It's just that it is persistent enough that I keep being reminded there's something not quite right. The last thing I ignored for a year or so turned out to be the diabetes so I've been trying to pay more attention.

I'm sorry your dad ended up with dementia; awful for him and all your family.

Yep, I'm sure it's not that bad...

Unfortunately (as is the case with a fair few of these "old boys".) my dad was of the mindset that the tablets he was prescribed for T2 put him right & that's it.. Then the complications for him ensued in the form of undetectable strokes..

I sincerely hope to hear you've checked out OK..!