Gabapentin side effects

brianalmond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
G.p prescribed gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day for my painful feet neuropathy 10 days ago.Seems to ease the pain but I am getting visual disturbances (blurred vision and flashing lights) One hell of a trip but not acceptable for normal daily routine! Also I suffer from severe itching on my back and arms,the wife assures me she hasn,t changed the washing powder.Its got to be the gabapentin in both cases ,as I didn,t have this before.Seeing g.p. again this week ,any suggestions for an alternative ? p.s. tried amitriptyline ,couldn,t handle that either....Thanks

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Hi Brian
Sorry to hear you're in pain. I had severe neuropathy for quite some time and (fingers crossed will stay this way) don't suffer from the pains anymore. Gabapentin didn't really work for me and amitriptyline knocked me out. Codeine and tremadol ended up my saving grace! Few side effects too, just need to drink lots of fluids with the codeine ;) good luck x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I used to be on Gabapentin but the 'trips' were just too much.

I'm now on Lyrica. Makes me a little sleepy but no long journeys out of my head!!

Hope you feel better soon x

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
I used to be on Gabapentin but the 'trips' were just too much.

I'm now on Lyrica. Makes me a little sleepy but no long journeys out of my head!!

Hope you feel better soon x

You've just reminded me what worked in the end. I was prescribed lyrica an tremadol and codeine to take together and then had paracetomal as and when needed. Sounds extreme but it worked xx

tom1946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, celery, stupidity.
wow, I was prescribed Gabapentin & Amitryptiline (SP) and never again I ended up like a zombie and stopped immediately. I now use Dihydrocodeine and although they are opium based I can tolerate them much better, and they work.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I have been on both Gabapentin and amitriptylin I didn't have side effects with either but there again I couldnt get no pain relief from them!!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
For different reasons i was on gabapentin and i was same,changed to the more expensive version lyrica/pregablin and thats so much better,
i still cant tolerate a high dose but has helped

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should not take codeine and tramadol together. You effectively overdose and it can cause excessive itching. I tried everything mentioned for neuropathy and only codeine works but I can only take it on a night and not every night because I get jumpy legs.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
I am on Pregabalin, Amitriptyline and Tramadol for Neuropathy and pain, they only really take the edge off, helps the jumpy legs but they make me very drowsy.

brianalmond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi looks like i,ve started something here..been back to g.p. today ,she,s trying me on Pregabalin 75mg twice a day.This could be third time lucky I hope! If this medication starts tripping me out like the gabbapentin I,m jacking it in and sticking to the red wine instead.Thanks for the comments and advice

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I take 400mg tramadol and 3200mg gabapentin a day with no side effects, but this has been built up over time.

muffy1

Hi Brainalmond, also on 300 mg a day gabapentin. Be aware it also destroy soot camels. Was on 1000 mg a day, I also get the itching on arms and back from it. At 300 I am stuck with it. Chiropractor helped me reduce the level and the neuropathy try one it really helps.
Muffy1

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
G.p prescribed gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day for my painful feet neuropathy 10 days ago.Seems to ease the pain but I am getting visual disturbances (blurred vision and flashing lights) One hell of a trip but not acceptable for normal daily routine! Also I suffer from severe itching on my back and arms,the wife assures me she hasn,t changed the washing powder.Its got to be the gabapentin in both cases ,as I didn,t have this before.Seeing g.p. again this week ,any suggestions for an alternative ? p.s. tried amitriptyline ,couldn,t handle that either....Thanks

I have been taking this dose for years now but I had to start gradually, one per day for a while then two per day before getting up to three. I never experienced any if these side effects. Did you just start this dosage immediately, maybe this is why?