ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am in this for my neuropathy pain, yesterday and today am now on 900 mg and have cold/flu like symptoms.
Anybody else on this have had this.
I read the leaflet for side effects and one is it can cause flu like symptons.
It could just be me maybe coming down with a cold.
But if anybody had these symptons, assuming it's not a cold, how soon do the symptons go away

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it works in the brain, so initially, people can have a lot of symptoms, until their brain get used to it..I just looked it up in danish, and yes it can be a sideeffect : flu-like symptoms

my mother felt dizzy the first 2 weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
it works in the brain, so initially, people can have a lot of symptoms, until their brain get used to it..I just looked it up in danish, and yes it can be a sideeffect : flu-like symptoms

my mother felt dizzy the first 2 weeks
Thank you.
I won,t worry now

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally - Didn't you say you'd gone to the pharmacy to pick up cold remedies the other day? Maybe something lurking.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been taking Gabapentin for years but suffered none of the side effects. It has worked well for me and is one of the pain meds I wouldn't want to give up.

Reactions: Freema

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ally1 , until earlier this year I'd been taking Gabapentin for an uncomfortable nerve sensation in my head - on the plus side, I got none of the side effects I'd had from Amitriptyline or Lyrica, but on the downside it didn't touch the nerve sensation!

I didn't get cold or flu symptoms from it.

Hope you feel a lot better soon.

xxx

leahkian

The consultant tried me on gabapentain for nerve pain and it did not work for me and while i was taking it i put on weight so they took me off it and got my GP to refer well being clinic and i lost most of the weight, The doctors told me that some medication can act in a different way with other medication and now i have lidocaine infusions every 4-6 weeks to try and easy the pain

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi Ally - Didn't you say you'd gone to the pharmacy to pick up cold remedies the other day? Maybe something lurking.
Yes I did and got something and not helped

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One note of caution, though. Gabapentin is widely known to cause weight gain in a lot of people but, like me, for some people it has no effect on weight. Some people even lose weight on it. Just be aware that it might have an effect on your weight.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
One note of caution, though. Gabapentin is widely known to cause weight gain in a lot of people but, like me, for some people it has no effect on weight. Some people even lose weight on it. Just be aware that it might have an effect on your weight.
Thank you for the warning about possible weight gain. I did read that on the leaflet.
As I am already over weight , that does worry me.
I will see how things go xx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but there are also some that lose weight when being on gabapentin. peoples reaction towards this medication really varies a lot

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
but there are also some that lose weight when being on gabapentin. peoples reaction towards this medication really varies a lot
I will see how things go