Gabapentin.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I am type 2 diabetic & have been for about 4 years now.
I am on metformin sr 1000mg morning,1000 mg night.
They have put up my glizlizide 80mgs x 2 mornings, 80mgs x 2 evenings.
Also they have put me on a 100 mgs x 3 a day gabapentin as I have like constant stinging nettle feelings in left leg & a bit in right leg plus sugars are quite high they said if this does not calm things down I will be on insulin.
I also have compartment syndrome in left leg which means I cannot feel my foot anyway.
I am always damaging my toes because when I wake up in middle of the night to go to the toilet I forget to put slippers on & I sometimes catch my toes on a strip that goes in the door way to fasten down the carpet to the next carpet.
Nurse ringing me on Wednesday to see about me having surgical cling film that doctors use after surgery that is suppose to help with the stinging.
All tablets seem to be ok no problems with them apart from the gabapentin they want me to take at dinner time it just knocks you out,the morning one ok,bed time one I do not know because on lots of meds as got arthritis,depression,asthma.
But we got to keep on smiling, love to all

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Are you sure it's the gabapentin that is knocking you out? I take 3200mg a day, the amount of sleepless nights I have, I wish they did.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Well I think it is as used to all other meds,
I am all right with 2 tablets it's when I take the dinner time one.hope you are ok

rhidianh

Hi,

My name is Rhidian and I have been on Gabapentin which is a cheaper brand of Neuropentin tablets, for over 3 years sometime back. I was on 6 x 500mg tablets for a spinal damage, all the time I was on them it never made me feel tied. It could be the mixture of tablets you are taking, talk to your doctor. They are excellent for neuro pain killers.

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I'm on 600mg of Gabapentin which I take around 19:00.

Sleepiness affected me as well when I first started taking it but only for a couple of months. It has helped my tingling legs and ankles.

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be on pregabalin for neuropathic pain, very similar, it left me totally wiped out, to the point I have 18 months I barely remember. They tried gabapentin as an alternative but I had a very severe allergic reaction.

Now I'm on amytriptilne and get no side effects.

Different things work for different people though. Hope they get you sorted.

Summer x

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Had a word with dn & she said some people it can knock them out just like that & others it does not,
As she said we are all not the same but pleased to say they are working which is more important

Reactions: 2 people

Jung the foreman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Refreshing to her that a DN recognises that we might have the same condition but we are not all the same.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
First ... get the carpet tacker fixed!
Gabapentin makes my friend and my wife very sleepy but not me.
Gabapentin seems to be where my diabetic problems started.
List of possible side effects ... weight gain.
For twenty five years fourteen stone no matter what and at just under six foot three that was very slim and healthy.
Started taking Gabapentin and stopped being active at the same time and shot to eighteen stone in a matter of weeks and within a year was diagnosed as being a member of this forum.
Now down to seventeen stone and target is fifteen.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
How many times are you going to be caught by the carpet gripper in the middle of the night before you decide to shoot it?