GAD ‘out of range’

T2&confused

Hello! I was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago and my GP did a GAD test because she wasn’t convinced I was Type 2. The results are back but I can’t get a telephone appointment to discuss it with her until the end of the year ().

All that the receptionist can tell me is that my results are out of range. Please could anybody give me a clue as to what this means? Does it mean I’m definitely Type 1.5? Will I need to go on insulin?

I’m struggling mentally since getting diagnosed and all this waiting really isn’t helping - particularly over Christmas - so any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I don't think you should worry to much about what a receptionist said. As I understand it your test for GAD antibodies is either positive or negative, I don't think there is a "range".
GAD antibodies are present in around 75% of people with type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.
If no GAD antibodies are present, however, the test cannot be conclusive in saying that the patient does not have type 1 diabetes.
Your only option really is to wait for a definitive answer from your Dr

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago and my GP did a GAD test because she wasn’t convinced I was Type 2. The results are back but I can’t get a telephone appointment to discuss it with her until the end of the year (
emoji849.png
).
Are you testing your blood glucose at home? What sort of numbers do you usually see?
If it turns out you have a form of T1 it doesn't have to mean you need insulin right away.

I think you'd best wait until the phone appointment so you'll know what your actual results are.
Good luck!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear you are getting confusing results and no doubt you'd like answers but I don't think you need to panic as severe drop in your insulin levels would produce dramatic symptoms in a true type 1. Other things (LADA) can wait until you are with a GP.
GAD can be inconclusive it would seem and antibodies don't hang around for a long time so may not be there by the time you get another blood draw. You can ask for a referral to an endocrinologist and/or a c peptide test with the latter checking level of insulin being produced. This along with your regular blood sugar checks from home should give any medic a lot more to go on and the numbers will also inform you of how your body copes with starchy/sugary foods and exercise so its well worth doing. Amazon and your local chemist will sell bg monitors.