Gad antibody test

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening.

I was diagnosed Type 2 in Sept 2012. I felt all along that this diagnosis was incorrect due to oral meds not really working, my age etc....Anyway had a gad test done and it's come back as 787!!! Now does this mean I'm type 1? Or will my doctor still argue against me?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Readings vary but that sounds like a positive GAD. If you are slim and possibly young and the GP doesn't accept it then you need to assert yourself with the GP and suggest (tactfully of course!) he reads the latest NICE T1 2015 guidelines. Did you also have a c-peptide test? That will show whether you are under-producing insulin and may need to move over to insulin rather than tablets.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Good evening.

I was diagnosed Type 2 in Sept 2012. I felt all along that this diagnosis was incorrect due to oral meds not really working, my age etc....Anyway had a gad test done and it's come back as 787!!! Now does this mean I'm type 1? Or will my doctor still argue against me?
I agree with Daibell, raise the issue with your doctor, tactfully of course :) Speaking to them politely should result in a constructive discussion and hopefully they will be persuaded by the facts and should change their mind. But if they don't, then you are always free to get a second opinion or change to another doctor. If geography is a problem, there are ways around that too. Good luck.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I should have said, I'm 34, not overweight and already on insulin. Was put on it in feb after my level crept up to average 20-25 post meal :O I begged them to let me have it. They first refused because I was type 2! The reason I want the correct diagnosis is to enable me to have the proper care. I get fobbed off as 'just a type 2' which if I was would be fair enough but I'm pretty sure I'm not, especially after the gad test!!! I requested a c peptide test but was refused grrr

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sorry I should have said, I'm 34, not overweight and already on insulin. Was put on it in feb after my level crept up to average 20-25 post meal :O I begged them to let me have it. They first refused because I was type 2! The reason I want the correct diagnosis is to enable me to have the proper care. I get fobbed off as 'just a type 2' which if I was would be fair enough but I'm pretty sure I'm not, especially after the gad test!!! I requested a c peptide test but was refused grrr
Good on you for pushing to get this far on your journey. I don't underestimate how much effort that has taken. Maybe one day more doctors will be open minded about diabetes types other than 1 and 2.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My fasting at diagnosis at 31 was 22mmol. Now I'm anew here between 7-10mmol as I'm not on insulin!!

Yes it's taken a load of stress to get this far just hope I get a hospital referal now!

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I'm off today for a GAD, IA-2 and IAA test; paying for it privately; need to know basis as metformin not working despite strict diet and next step is Gliclazide.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took those steps, started on metformin, then gliclazide then levels got to about 25 average and I begged them for insulin. Best thing I ever did!!! Was debating paying private but just bugged my doctor. I was first refused a c peptide test, they said this one was better!!