GAD Antibody test

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I posted in type 1 but may be better off here in LADA.

34, normal weight, on insulin within 2 years diagnosis, GAD result came back 787 range is 0-5 :O

Does this mean I'm defo LADA as my current diagnosis is type 2 which I've thought all along was wrong :(

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Jaxx01

I'm not sure what your numbers refer to........ "787 range is 0-5" ??

I'm afraid that the GAD antibodies test is not conclusive on its own, please see these comments from an NHS web page below.

GAD antibodies
Synonyms

Glutamic Acid Dehydrogenase antibodies

Clinical Indications
Type I autoimmune diabetes mellitus (IDDM) Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) First degree relatives of patients with Type I diabetes Stiff Person Syndrome (SPS) .
Please note: Anti GAD antibodies are found in 65 - 85% of patients with Type I Diabetes, in 70 - 90% of patients with LADA, approximately 80% of healthy relatives of patients with Type I Diabetes and a small percentage of patients with Type II Diabetes. Levels are generally low in Diabetes (<100 U/mL). Anti GAD antibodies are found in approximately 60% of patients with Stiff Person Syndrome. Levels are generally high in SPS (>300 U/mL).

Source:-
http://www.southend.nhs.uk/pathology-handbook/test-directory/test-directory-g-index/gad-antibodies/

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I should have been clearer the rabe for a negative result is between 0 and 5 and my result came back as 787 so a very.high positive.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you believe the diabetes nurse I rang to talk to about my results said 'we don't really do that test here so I have no idea how to interpret the results' worrying :/ needless.to say I'm booked in to see the doctor tomorrow first thing!!

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can you believe the diabetes nurse I rang to talk to about my results said 'we don't really do that test here so I have no idea how to interpret the results' worrying :/ needless.to say I'm booked in to see the doctor tomorrow first thing!!

Hi again @Jaxx01 ,

I notice that you are already taking insulin ?

I'm no expert but they claim here https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/diabetes-auto/tab/test/ that the test cannot be used to diagnose someone who has already been treated with insulin.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's very interesting! Maybe they should have done a c peptide test instead which is what I originally asked for!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh looking more closely at that article it's the IAA test that can't distinguish between the antibodies. I had the specific Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase test so think it's right.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Jaxx,
I would imagine your GP will refer you to your local hospitals diabetic clinic. This is what happened to me when I had a positive (2,000+) GAD test. My consultant says I am a type 1 in the honeymoon period, which some people refer to as LADA, there is no mention of LADA in my hospital notes, just T1 honeymoon period. I refer to myself as LADA, but I don't think the NHS seem to recognise it officially. I asked my diabetic consultant for a c-peptide test, he said it was not worth doing as I was obviously still able to make some of my own insulin, all be it in small amounts. He said depending when the test was done (eg after eating, mid way through meals or prior to eating) would also affect the c-peptide test.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Ian. Doctor confirmed yesterday thar my gad test says I'm. Type 1. Almost certain I'm LADA but I've been refused a hospital referal so.guess I'll never know

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Ian. Doctor confirmed yesterday thar my gad test says I'm. Type 1. Almost certain I'm LADA but I've been refused a hospital referal so.guess I'll never know
Hi again. If the hospital says you are a T1 then that's all you need to know. The term LADA just refers to someone who has late onset T1 due to GAD antibodies and that's what you have. If you really want to know your insulin level you could have the c-peptide done privately as I did. There is a debate as to what time of day to have it done but you follow the test labs advice and mine was a fasting one. I wouldn't bother as you have the right medication now and you can adjust it to suit your level of insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ahhh looking more closely at that article it's the IAA test that can't distinguish between the antibodies. I had the specific Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase test so think it's right.

Sorry, I obviously didn't read that properly.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No problem I read it a couple of times over haha