GAD results

RussG

Hi all,

I had a quick question regarding GAD antibody results. I've been under investigation for type since December when I was referred to the diabetic clinic following two suspected DKAs and after an unsuccessful struggle to regain control of my BG levels (I also started on insulin in Dec). Someone lost my first set of blood results but I've now just got the results of my GAD antibody test which is 8.7 u/ml, which is apparently 'above the reference level'. My diabetic consultant says in the letter that he will discuss this further with me at my next appointment, which is in May. My DSN called me a few days ago to say she had seen the results and that she thought it was enough to diagnose either type 1 or 1.5 / LADA. Personally if I'm not type 2, then my money is on LADA.

I know people here can't diagnose, but based on people's experience is 8.7 a significant result likely to indicate 1 or 1.5 or possibly just inconclusive? I've had a look around the net and can't really find much to go on that's definitive. I'm happy on the insulin and accept that this is probably now a lifelong treatment for me but would really like some clarity on type for my own peace of mind I guess. Any views / similar experiences?

Russ

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May is a long time to wait. As soon as the doctor got back the test results for me (though I think they did c peptide and GAD tests, and I think both were positive, but I don't know the levels, so it might not be the same for you) they told me to stop taking one of the tablets I was taking (gliclazide maybe?) and see the consultant at the hospital to start insulin asap.

frenchkittie

If it helps, my GAD level at diagnosis was 121 u/ml. The diagnosis was type 1.

My consultant told me that, at 121 u/ml, my GAD levels were pretty high.

RussG

Thanks all for those comments and the link.

I contacted my diabetic consultant and have now met him to discuss my results, which was useful rather than waiting until May! His view was that the presence of anti-GAD antibodies and other results put me clearly in the type 1 or 1.5 box, not type 2.

As a result, the insulin treatment I began in December 2010 will now be a lifelong one. I had hoped that I might be able to try other options, having only been on metformin previously, but that's not going to happen. I'm okay with that because it clearly works and if I'm honest the reality of the injections is nowhere near as bad as the thought of it was. (Yes, yes, I know it's only been a few months and not 20+ years. I'll see what I think about it then!)

Broadly, I'm happy to get some clarity on prognosis and treatment. Consultant was much better face to face than trying to get info via phone or letter.

Snodger

great that you got them to give you good information in the end.

rglennon said:
I'm okay with that because it clearly works and if I'm honest the reality of the injections is nowhere near as bad as the thought of it was. (Yes, yes, I know it's only been a few months and not 20+ years. I'll see what I think about it then!)
yeah, it's not so bad... welcome to the injecting club!