Anonymous Question Gallstones, Inflamed Pancreas & High BG

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Anonymous question submitted:

My wife had gallstones, and the consultant said she had an enlarged pancreas. ..just about a week to the laposcopy to remove the gallstones, she had symptoms and blood test results showed she had high bloodsugar. The surgery was carried out a week ago. Could the high sugar be a result of the inflamed pancreas?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No
The gallstones have caused the enlarged pancreas, sometimes the stones that can be smaller than a grain of sand, either go into the pancreas or collected in the common bile duct blocking it. The enzymes produced by the pancreas cannot get through and back up onto pancreas, in the worse cases the pancreas will digest itself, necrotise or go hard. To protect itself from these it can enlarge, create a protective sac become infected but in 95% of case removal of the gallbladder solves the problem, blood sugars return to normal. It can take months for the panc to get back to normal, in most cases not drinking any alcohol for at least 6 months and eating a low fat diet, with little meals, less more often. Gives the panc time to rest and heal.

Please tell your wife to be kind to herself, take time to heal, and get well again

Reactions: 2 people

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No
The gallstones have caused the enlarged pancreas, sometimes the stones that can be smaller than a grain of sand, either go into the pancreas or collected in the common bile duct blocking it. The enzymes produced by the pancreas cannot get through and back up onto pancreas, in the worse cases the pancreas will digest itself, necrotise or go hard. To protect itself from these it can enlarge, create a protective sac become infected but in 95% of case removal of the gallbladder solves the problem, blood sugars return to normal. It can take months for the panc to get back to normal, in most cases not drinking any alcohol for at least 6 months and eating a low fat diet, with little meals, less more often. Gives the panc time to rest and heal.

Please tell your wife to be kind to herself, take time to heal, and get well again

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've been told I have enlarged pancreas you makes me very worried I'm having a scan on Sunday I've been I've been waiting a month for this scan thankfully thanks for the information you gave in in my ultra scan I had first it says no stones I've seen