Gastric Band Surgery

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully had a gastric band fitted and how easy is it long term?
I have spent the past 40 years dieting (am 60 in June) but since the diabetes dignosis 7 years ago it has been very difficult to lose weight. I was on Byetta for 18 months and lost 14 kilos but my bg did not come down enough so I was then put on to Humalog 25 insulin - I put that 14 kilos back on almost overnight - that was 12 months ago and although I have been back on the Byetta alongside the insulin the weight just will not go. I think the insulin makes me feel hungry.
When I saw my gp a couple of weeks ago I told her that I was going to ask my Hospital Consultant if he would consider referring me for a gastric band and she said "I am quite happy to refer you" so I said I would think about it and am due to see my Consultant this net week so will ask him.

I have always been against "diet gimmicks", I have always believed in eating proper food but less. Do you have to have the gatric band for life or can it be removed when the extra weight has gone?

Many thanks, Jude :)

A

Anonymous

Jude said:
Hi everyone

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully had a gastric band fitted and how easy is it long term?
I have spent the past 40 years dieting (am 60 in June) but since the diabetes dignosis 7 years ago it has been very difficult to lose weight. I was on Byetta for 18 months and lost 14 kilos but my bg did not come down enough so I was then put on to Humalog 25 insulin - I put that 14 kilos back on almost overnight - that was 12 months ago and although I have been back on the Byetta alongside the insulin the weight just will not go. I think the insulin makes me feel hungry.
When I saw my gp a couple of weeks ago I told her that I was going to ask my Hospital Consultant if he would consider referring me for a gastric band and she said "I am quite happy to refer you" so I said I would think about it and am due to see my Consultant this net week so will ask him.

I have always been against "diet gimmicks", I have always believed in eating proper food but less. Do you have to have the gatric band for life or can it be removed when the extra weight has gone?

A gastric band can be removed, or just loosened if you decide that`s the way to go. It isn`t a quick fix Jude. They say it does 30% of the work for you, but you can still gain weight by eating wrongly.

I nearly had one done a couple of years ago, and I wish I had gone through with it now :(

NutritionalScientist

Jeannemum said:
A gastric band can be removed, or just loosened if you decide that`s the way to go. It isn`t a quick fix Jude. They say it does 30% of the work for you, but you can still gain weight by eating wrongly.

I nearly had one done a couple of years ago, and I wish I had gone through with it now :(
I imagine the above is supposed to say 'hadn't' rather than 'had' and I would agree!

I would strongly recommend you don't go down the band route. The scars, the social implications, the post op care are not worth it. The fact that you are on a forum like this shows you have a bit more about you. You can lose the weight without the band just as easily.

A

Anonymous

Mac-Nutrition said:
Jeannemum said:

I imagine the above is supposed to say 'hadn't' rather than 'had' and I would agree!

I would strongly recommend you don't go down the band route. The scars, the social implications, the post op care are not worth it. The fact that you are on a forum like this shows you have a bit more about you. You can lose the weight without the band just as easily.

No. It was meant to say had. I can`t see where hadn`t would fit in. The trouble for many is keeping weight off once lost. The scars are minimal with a band, and I don`t know what social implications there can be? As for post op care. Again I am confused. One of the major things about a band is to have the best after care available.

NutritionalScientist

Jeannemum said:
Mac-Nutrition said:
Jeannemum said:

No. It was meant to say had. I can`t see where hadn`t would fit in. The trouble for many is keeping weight off once lost. The scars are minimal with a band, and I don`t know what social implications there can be? As for post op care. Again I am confused. One of the major things about a band is to have the best after care available.

Sorry, I misread your post. My bad.

I'm very anti bands simply because of now close friends having had them done in the past. I'm perhaps a little biased for that reason as their experiences of vomiting if they eat slightly too quickly or eat more than a few mouthfuls of food. Not being able to get anywhere near the amount of good food into them and therefore running into other micronutrient deficiency compications. the NHS after care might be different but my friends went private and had terrible after care.

Mac

A

Anonymous

I was also going to go privately. There are several packages around that have very good reputations. It sounds like your friends had their bands too tight, speed of eating is a big problem I have heard, but I think that most people who are overweight eat too fast. I certainly do :oops:

I am certain the vast majority would like to lose weigh without surgical intervention, but trying to get to the right weight and then stick at it can seem like a dream. In my case it is academic. I spent the money :lol:

Elc1112

Jude, you'd be better speaking to your surgeon/doctor about this. I think gastric band surgery should only ever be considered as a last resort. As other have pointed out, it's not a quick fix and the onus is still on you to eat healthily. Do you mind me asking what you eat on a typical day? Have you seen a dietician to discuss less radical options?

With regard to insulin - it does, unfortunately, encourage the body to store fat. If you can reduce the amount of insulin you need you can, often, lose weight this way. Even after the band you will still be on insulin so will have to take this into consideration.

Em

C

catherinecherub

Jude said:
Hi everyone

Hi JUde,

It must be pretty frustrating not being able to control your weight after trying to control your diabetes and using all the available options as regard medications available.

It wont hurt to talk it through with the Consultant and he can explain it better than anyone here. You may decide that it is not for you, but whatever you decide at least you will be able to make an informed choice.
There are a couple of articles here that explain how it has a percentage of success. I would think that once it is done that your motivation has to be high to "reverse" the diabetes.

I can imagine that participants must be so pleased not to have to rely on too many medications.

http://www.obesitysurgerycentre.com/pro ... -diabetes/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 165647.htm

I

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Jude

I too have been dieting for more than 40 years, and if I had £1 for every 1lb I've lost I'd be rich (well, better off at least!).

Eight years ago I realised that all the low fat/plenty of carbs advice was not for me, and lost weight very successfully using Atkins. I lapsed, for reasons I won't go into here, but after being diagnosed Type 2 two years ago, went straight back on to Atkins and got things back under control. My BG readings now are almost always in the non-diabetic range. I've lost 4.5 stone so far (at least the same still to go!). It's taking time, but it will go.

Have you tried low carb? You don't have to go as extreme as Atkins Induction, but reducing carbs works for many people.

Secondly - have you been tested for under-active thyroid? I have never had a thyroid reading out of the "normal" range, but fortunately my GP listens to me, and agreed to treat the symptoms. I'm now on 100mg (mcg?) of Levothyroxine once daily, and I think it does help. My readings are still within the normal range :shock: .

I must admit that gastric band would be my last resort, but that's because I'm greedy and love my food. I know one woman who has had it done on the NHS, after a year-long lead-in when she had to lose a little weight and satisfy the consultant that she was disciplined enough to be able to stick to the post-op way of eating. Fifteen months after the op she has lost over 9 stone and looks fabulous.

Best of luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Also look into the Gastric Sleeve. Another effective weight loss method that I am seriously considering. (£8.5K, though...)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch, think how much cauliflower and butter you could buy with £8K :wink:

wiflib

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone

Thank you all for your various comments and suggestions - most of which I already agree with. However, I have not heard from anyone who has had the gastric band done and I was hoping there would be someone on the boards who has had it done, even if they lived to regret their decision.
I have also been living with irritable bowel syndrome for 40 years - this benefits from a high carb eating regime but not from what would be considered a healthy diet eg plenty of vegs and fruit, wholegrains etc.
I have also found it difficult to do any exercise until recently due to lower back problems and more recently problems with my knee which have been temporarily resolved with a cortisone injection and I have started to walk - slowly but surely - since the new year. However, I am very disappointed with the walking as it has not helped my bg or weight and although I am not walking a lot it is 200% more than I was doing last year.
So all in all I am often damned if I do and damned if I do!! Anyway I see my Consultant on Wednesday so will see if I get chance to raise it with him and let you all know what he says - he is a very good doctor and I trust him implicitly.

Jude :)

Hi there, I do not have diabetes but I have had gastric bypass. My dad has diabetes. I weighed 21 stone nearly 22 stone. My BMI was 49.9 ! Since childhood I have been overweight. I have tried everything known to diet. Last April 2011 I had a bypass. I now weigh 11 and 1/2 stone. My BMI is 28 - just above normal. I have been given a new lease of life in a directions. Don't be put off by the negative comments - do what is best for YOU! Good luck in your decision.

Reactions: kanie.j

kanie.j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you thought about a hypnosis gastric band, it has worked well for lots of people and has no side effects and is a lot cheaper.

Spaceage

I tried the hypnotic gastric band but long term it didn't work, had Gastric Bypass this Feb as am Type 2 and Chronic Sleep Apnoea, and have to admit that so far so good. On day of op weighed 119.6Kg and after two weeks was 110 (no update on weight as haven't bothered with scales since as my wardrobe is informing me I need to shop for smaller sizes), clothes feel much better (looser) and feeling great, haven't stopped smiling since the op

Reactions: kanie.j

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I saw my Consultant last month he had no hesitation in referring me to the local Bariatric Team for an assessment with view to a possible gastric band. I would rather achieve weight loss myself but after 40 years of struggling with a weight problem I am finding it very difficult.

I would still like to hear from someone who has actually had this surgery.

Thank you. Jude :)

A

Anonymous

There is a UK forum for people who have had this surgery. You will find loads of info on there.

Spaceage

Re surgery, did you see the BBC Horizon program where they interviewed Dr La Roux, apparently when you have a Gastric Bypass it reboots our "feeling full" sensors and I can confirm that before my surgery I never knew when to stop eating.....buffets were painful by the end of the night (and greatly reduced in size courtesy of me) whereas now I can stop eating and feel very satisfied. Bypass may not be everyones cup of tea but if it's an option I think it's better than Banding due to both the reboot and far less follow ups and refits.