Gastric Bypass op to cure type 2?

debbietowns

Hi
I have been reading about the effect that a gastric bypass has on type 2 diabetes and wondered if anyone on here has gone down that road and if so what results the got.

Thanks
Debbie

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi

I'm currently facing the possibility of a gastric bypass. I've managed to loose over 2 stone and i need lost another stone before then end of Jan or they are going to offer me the Bypass. I've never heard of it being a cure for type 2 though. I dont know what the answer is i eat well and they've changed my medication to byetta and insulin and i feel 110% in th year i've taken it. I hope someone knows the answer! Amanda

debbietowns

What i read was that, the operation, although it ultimately helps weight loss, also cures type 2 with a success rate of 85%. It changes something, i think to do with enzymes in your gut and what they noticed was that people diabetes went immediately after the op which proves its not the weight loss that helps the diabetes. Some doctors are actually recommending the op just for diabetes in people of normal weights.
I am currently in the process of asking my PCT to fund the op as i don't have £12,000 to pay privately.
I am very concerned as to whether i am taking too much of a risk!
Debbie

katyr

i am currently going down this route. i have been assessed and accepted by the hospital (NHS) & am about 4 - 6 months away from surgery. I am very over weight but the main driving force is to cure my diabetes. The hospital has a great website for this & is the only internationally recognised centre of excellence for Bariatric Surgery. There website is www.imperialweightcentre.co.uk.

I am type 2 Diabetic on 56 units of Insulin a day.

Hope this helps

Katy x

emmagreen

Hi there,
My husband had the gastric bypass op in October 2009 and has never looked back. he was 19 1/2 stone and type 2 diabetic with all of the other complications such as high blood pressure, sleep apnoea and had already suffered 2 minor heart attackes a coupple of years ago. He was on both insulin injections 4 times a day and oral medication but his suger was never very stable. the fortnight before the op he had to be on a strict clear liquid and jelly diet to help shrink his liver before surgery and already had stopped taking insulin. The operation cured his diabetes over night and he came out of hospital 2 days later diabetic free. he has since lost nearly five stone, has more energy and fitness and has regained his role as a playfull dad. I know the thought of surgery can be very scarey, it was for me just having to watch him go through it but I can say now that I am very thankful for him having it done and feel he is a renewed person for it. It is not something to be undertaken light heartedly though and I would advise you to research it thouroughly just for your own piece of mind. I can say though that it really does work and diabetes is not something we ever need worry about in our house any more. Hope this helps.
Emma x.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would love to have this surgery as a treatment for my T2 Diabetes - but it is expensive. And I know my diabetic team would rather start me on insulin than give me this surgery... :(

pinklush11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been offered the gastric Band operation and everything is going forward for it, but I am determined to lose this weight so I haven't got to have it done. It frightens me. I joined slimming world back in August 2009 and have lost 3 stone. Still got loads to lose. I have type 2 diabetis and chronic renal facing dialisis in a few months. However I am off the medication now for diabetis. I can exercise now which i never could do. There is light at the end of the very dark tunnel. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's my problem. I weigh 17st, and at 6ft 2in that's not a GREAT deal overweight. I find it impossible to lose weight at the moment (at 32 I've been a yo-yo dieter for years, and it's getting hard), and Gastric Surgery is, after all, a weight loss surgery. I doubt I will ever be offerred it (unless I put on a shed load of weight...)

:(

robertwstokes

Hi Folks, as a type 11 diabetic and having gone through the full open gastric by-pass, please allow me to post my account of things.
firstly let me put an end to the myth that gastric by-pass cures type 11 diabetes.
Now in 1990 i was diagnosed with type 11,i was really worried,as i was both a H.G.V. and P.C.V. driver within the civil service,i thought it would be the end of my career.I was put on to metformin,and boy did it upset my digestive system (lol) as anyone that takes it will know.the metformin didnt hold down my B/S,and i had reached the max dose.

Then the dreaded day came that i had to inject insulin i was put on humalin mixtard,and the final dose was 58 units morn.,and 58 units at night. Then came the dreaded letter DVLA revoked my HGV,& my PCV,well as you can imagine that was like cutting off my arm,however the MOD decided to keep me to drive staff arround.Then believe it or not i got a letter from DVLA medical branch informing me that allthough i could not drive PCV as a proffesional anymore,i could take old ladies and gentleman out for trips to the sea-side as long as they were non-paying customers!!!!!.
well that made me see red!!!! because they took away my living,and poured petrol on the flames,because i fail to see where they did the risk assesament? surely if paying customers were at risk so should the non-paying be equally at risk??? Needless to say Dvla never got back to me with an answer on that!!!!.

Anyway 15 years on my G.p. made an appointment for me to see a consultant,Mr.S.Somers G.Slater & co., who i have the greatest admiration for,and to whom i will allways be in debt,and whilst im at this point id like to also mention his great team from the King Edward 7th hospital at Midhurst West Sussex.
Well i was admitted 18/08 2005 and had the gasrtic by-pass. i made a remarkable recovery and felt very good after the op.I was up the following day,and was given just 10 units of insulin,the last dose till now,5 years later, in the past 5 years,i took on DVLA medical branch and had all my driving licences re-instated,went back to my old line of work,and lifes been great.

Now about 3 months ago i noticed the old symptoms creeping in,the thirstyness,a little tired and indeed sluggish. So i began monitering my B/S once again and noticed they had crept back up.Back i went to my G.P. fearing the worst,which he confirmed.

So at this moment in time back on metformin,and a new type of injection called Victoza,which all-though is an injection does not have any affect on your driving licence,because it dosnt have the effects that insulin does,(so DVLA god bless them i still have the last laugh im not giving up yet Lol).Well i guess thats my story to date,i will keep you all informed,and i hope this helps those that are faced with the decision.

In short having the gastric by-pass does not cure diabetes,but it has given me my life back and 5 more great years.Now im sure the question is would i still have that op done??? the honnest answer is most definately,beyond any shaddow of doubt.
If anyone has any qyestions about my case then i will be more than happy to give you an honnest answer. Regards to all Robert

stremlett

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello

This was discussed in New Scientist 5th September 2009. The title on the cover is "Gone, Appetit" but on page 32 there is a column " A surgical cure for diabetes?". You should be able to track it down at the library. I don't think it is legal for me to post it here. Get in touch with me if you need me to tell you more.

On another subject me and my daughter in law have had baratric surgery in Bruges with Dr Dillemans. I lost three stone and I also lost my dodgy blood sugar, hypertension and highish cholestrol (operation 3 years ago). My DIL has lost 5 stone and feels very well but no improvment yet in her polycystic ovary syndrome -- her gp is very happy with her after a rather disapproving and stern start. I cannot comment on this matter in general; other than to say that I felt I needed to take this step and was able to find the money and courage to do it. Everyone must judge for themselves.

Sue T

langabel

Having been diagnose with type 2 diabetes 17 years ago, I was delighted when my consultant suggested I have a GB, which would cure my diabetes. I am now 2 years post op and have lost over 40KG and kept the weight off. Unfortunately, despite being told otherwise by almost every health professonal I met, my diabetes has not changed at all and I am still on the same medication I was on prior to the op. That said, I do feel so much better for the weight loss and do not regret my decision to have the operation. However, I do think people should be made aware that this is not a guaranteed cure for diabetes.

robertwstokes

Hi People,I must agree with previous comments,the gastric by-pass was an excellent choice and left with the choice i would opt to have it all over again. It vastly improved my diabetes control and got me off of the dreaded insulin.But to be honnest i thought and was lead to believe that the diabetes was gone for good.(and i would like to make it perfectly clear that my consultant said it would improve my diabetes control),and it did and still has,i dread to think where i would be today if i had not had my op!!!

However there was a lot of people around at the time saying this op will cure diabetes,well im post-op of over 5 years and all though its no where near as bad as it was,its back!!. So my point is anyone considering the gastric by-pass,needs to wey up the pro`s n con`s,having said that i know it was right 4 me. I`d also like to wish anyone taking this route good luck,and i really hope it works for you regards Robert

markd

A friend of mine in the US had the bypass op a few months back - in her case, it was performed only a couple of months after she was diagnosed diabetic.

Her slide into diabetes was frighteningly fast, going from apparently normal to insulin in 6 weeks or so.

She was off insuling almost immediately and is now down to 500mg Met 3x daily. She's lost 70 bounds and has another 90 to go. She and her healthcare professionals are very hopeful that she'll get off meds completely.

She's also been receiving intensive fitness/exercise training, and I'm sure that's helped as well.

Certainly not everyone is 'cured' (perhaps 'made symptom-free' is a better description) by bypass surgery but I'm not sure why it works with some people and not with others. I know that there are different variants of the surgery, particularly how far the 'bypass' is extended.

It would be reasonable to assume that the further down the intestinal tract the stomach empties, the better will be the effect on diabetes.

I suspect that another very strong indicator of success is how long you've had diabetes before getting the op - if you've burnt-out your pancreas completely, a bypass may do wonders for reducing the amount - and spike levels - of glucose uptake, but if you can't produce enough insulin, then there is a limit to how far the improvement can go.

I did read somewhere that transplanting beta cells into those that have lost weight through bypass surgery might be a future option. I think the reasoning went that if the surgery and weightloss resolved the insulin resistance, then augmenting your insuling-producing capacity might work again.

mark

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting thread. Could it be that post op, one can re-develop T2 diabetes? Could it be that once the op has been successful (in "curing" T2) the food you eat/excercise you take may encourage the development of T2? Very interesting that that it works for some and not others.

More research needs to be done on what it is that is actually resolved by GB surgery. What enzymes are created/stopped from being created by GB surgery? How does GB surgery encourage the uptake of glucose by the bodys cells? Does insulin production increase/decrease following GB surgery? How is the metabloic rate effected by GB surgery?

Lets keep this discussion going... :D

robertwstokes

Hi again,please dont be put off by the comments i have posted on here.i have given my own personal account of events,and i must say 100% positively that the gastric by-pass made a huge difference to my life over the past 5 years,and turning the clock back theres nothing i would change.
The past 5 years have been heaven,and i never felt so well,more energy,more get up and go.The only one thing i do wish is that i was better informed as to how the op would effect me further down the road,and although my surgeon is my hero,some of the less well informed health professionals lead me to believe i would say good bye to type 2 diabetes forever. I can assure you this was not the way it panned out 4 me.
So i urge anyone that is considering surgery do your research and make sure you know the pros n cons, but rest asurred the diabetics that i know,have noticed remarkable improvements, hope this is usefull regards Robert

Enigma Code

On 30th April 2008 I had a Y Roux Bypass. I was very poorly with Diabeties type 2, I was on 840 units of insulin a day, both long and slow acting... my sugars were average around 18-22 and that's on a major monitored diet. My injection sites across my body were so painful and black with bruising. Within 6 weeks of having the operation I was off insulin and back on metaformin... my sugars went right down ro 6-7... again within another 6 weeks I was off the metaformin and back to diet controlled. My sugars average 3-5 and I don't even have to monitor daily. I got into the frame of mind that my diabeties was cured... but it isn't... its well under control... I still have extremely poor circulation and other diabetic symptoms but hey... these I can live with... I don't need insulin any more, my mind isn't befuddled, I've lost 13.5 stone and I have my life back. I know I've still got underlying diabeties, but I can manage it for the moment. At the early stages I believed it was a total cure, but now I think it gives you 85%+ manageability back. I'm now coming up to my second birthday (yes, like the Queen I now have 2 birthdays!) and bless the team at Luton & Dunstable hospital daily for me being alive.

Phil Ferris

HI I am awaiting my Gastric Band in Mid March, so it is interesting to read the comments on here. At no time has anyone mentioned my Diabetes, But i have had a Gland problem for 37 years, and i have been told this is my only chance of losing weight , But if it helps my unstable sugar levels i will see it as an extra blessing on top of the weight loss. Also being able to help my Spondulosis.I am looking forward with keen anticipation. I will post on here my results. Bless you all that suffer with Diabetes i have been diagnosed for 10 year now and on insulin for 7 of those.

debbied

I had a sleeve gastrectomy last July which is a slightly easier operation than a gastric bypass, the surgeon basically removes 80% of your stomach and I have now lost nearly 5 stone in weight, before my operation I was on 78 units of insulin in the morning and 78 units in the evening, a total of 156 units of insulin a day, since then I no longer take any insulin, I do however still take metformin which ultimately I hope to reduce if not stop, I still need to loose another 5 stone,and I know it's not an over night fix and there can be complications with any surgery, but if I had not had the surgery I am sure that my life expectancy would have been greatly reduced.

I don't see this as a cure for type 2 diabetes, but I do see it as way to improve symptom control. I already feel better in so many ways, and can now bend down properly to tie up my shoes, to any one who is not suffering from a bad back or is overweight this probably sounds very sad, but anything that gives me more independence in my life so be it.

I was also lucky enough to be funded by my PCT, as there was no way I could have afforded the operation myself. I know that there is limited money in the NHS, but if there was more intervention earlier, the cost to the NHS from patients with complications from type 2 diabetes would be greatly reduced.

jonjaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid doctors
I had a R&Y gastric bypass in 2008 I weighed 176kg and was on Metformin after being diagnosed with T2 in 2000. Post op I nearly died from a liver abscess but lost 56kg over the next year or so. No more Metformin and BS OK. Then 2 years ago weight had crept back up to 150kg and BS sky high. I haven't changed my diet but have done less exercise this has caused my weight gain I think. Losing weight can reduce symptoms such as high BS but one day your BS will rise and you like me will end up on insulin, diabetes is a degenerative disease and as such will get worse with time there is no cure. High BS will damage your body this will not get better once damaged eyes nerves etc. will not get better so enjoy the weight loss and lowered BS levels but do not kid yourself that you are cured. I paid £12K for my op and even though it caused my liver abscess I would do it again.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was getting to the point of seriously considering surgery when I decided to try LCHF first. 10 months later I've lost 8 stone and my HbA1c is down to 29, which is well below the threshold for diabetes. I'm not against bypass surgery, but I would highly recommend people try LCHF first :)