Gastric inpatient - Not given insulin for 24 hours resulting in DKA

Tallgardener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About a month ago I was admitted to hospital after vomiting blood due to an ongoing gastric problem. A few days later I was told my ketones had risen and that I had developed Diabetic Ketoacidosis. I was put on a sliding scale and a doctor took a vial of blood once an hour through the night.
A week ago I received a letter saying they were investigating why I didn't receive my insulin for 24 hours. They apologised but we all know that DKAs can be fatal.
My question is, what do I do now? Can I sue for malpractice?
I already have neuropathy in my legs and since my hospital stay my mobility has worsened.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess you need a solicitor and not a bunch of diabetics. They have apologised which is nice but at the same time it is an admission of an error.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Request your medical records. Seek advice from a claimant medical negligence solicitor - they should be able to consider whether your claim is viable enough to take you on on a no win no fee basis.

Alternatively, you could make a complaint to the hospital. The response should set out whether or not they accept the insulin omission was in breach of duty. Then you'll be able to consider what you have lost, whether it's actually something worth seeking compensation for. You say you've reduced mobility since leaving hospital, but is this due to the non negligent gastritis issues or is it attributable to the dka? You've clearly got a complex history with underlying mobility issues; it's going to be difficult for any expert to say that, on the balance of probabilities the dka has caused you an ongoing problem.

Reactions: himtoo and azure

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hospital should have a PALS service who should be helpful with any complaint. Often home insurance includes some free legal advice if you are thinking that way

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The hospital should have a PALS service who should be helpful with any complaint. Often home insurance includes some free legal advice if you are thinking that way
I'd be concerned, too, that this might not be an isolated incident; bad enough as that is.

Tallgardener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've suffered a few DKAs at this hospital and always got good treatment, but afterwards I have always had a worsening in my legs. I think it was an isolated incident But who knows.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
PAls Service should also advice you of other persons that can support you through the process of complaining.

I have complained about a hospital that let me go hypo when I warned them I was and needed glucose. I was on sliding scale and they upped the insulin instead. They let me stagger down the corridor to theatre, accusing the surgeon about to amputate my breast that he was going to kill me! I told them constantly I was hypo and tgey got my own blood machine and the ladt thing I remember is the anaethetist saying "she's under 2.0". Never had any opportunity to look at breast for ine last time before it waa chopped off.

I complained. I got my notes free of charge.
No negligence company wanted to help as I wasn't earning enough!! Seriously they only help adult people that have financial loss.. or at least the 5 companies I phoned would not take my case on.

It took 6 months to get an
apology and promises that lessons would be learnt.

I had a lot more to the complaint than just this.. ie I did not receive radiotherapy within guidelines etc... they could not deal with a plain salad.

Their treatment of me has left me absolutely petrified of any hospital care and I cannot go to any consultation by myself.

I wasn't after compensation. I just wanted to have assurances that no other T1 would ever have to experience what I did.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type 1, I dread going into hospital. After open heart surgery, both the Diabetic Consultant and the surgeon agreed it was best for me to be allowed home after just 6 days "to get my diabetes sorted out myself".

A

asparagusp

(My grandmother died many years ago of an insulin overdose in hospital and we didn't seek redress.) Difficult one in your case. They have at least apologised and alerted you to their mistake. What now do you want from them? Financial compensation? The amount of energy you will need to fight the case will add stress to your already stressed body and put additional pressure on your sugar levels. Wouldn't it be just better to move on?

M

mist

Don't bother suing them. Complain by all means, help them to improve their services for yourself and other patients.

Suing them may result in the closure of the hospital then you would feel like a right jerk.

Life is too short for grudges.

Reactions: Struma

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As a Type 1, I dread going into hospital. After open heart surgery, both the Diabetic Consultant and the surgeon agreed it was best for me to be allowed home after just 6 days "to get my diabetes sorted out myself".
I came home after 6 days after my triple bypass and valve replacement. It is standard practice to get open heart surgery patients on their feet and off home after six days @Dodo :)

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I came home after 6 days after my triple bypass and valve replacement. It is standard practice to get open heart surgery patients on their feet and off home after six days @Dodo :)
The reason the Diabetic consultant wanted me back home was because the night before the nursing staff had withheld my basal insulin as they were worried that I might go too low. She couldn't believe it when I told her this was the reason my blood sugar was so high the next morning. She actually said "they can't do that". I told her to tell them that. My own Consultant back home said he wasn't surprised as the nursing staff lack a great deal of knowledge of Type 1. So very worrying for Type 1s.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This may be a daft question from an unmedicated Type 2, but if you are conscious and capable, why can't you manage your own insulin and glucose requirements in hospital? Is this not allowed?

Reactions: Chas C

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be a daft question from an unmedicated Type 2, but if you are conscious and capable, why can't you manage your own insulin and glucose requirements in hospital? Is this not allowed?
I was allowed to manage my own insulin when I had my heart bypass, after I had come off sliding scale. Still, there was no way I could control my BG with all the sugar-laden, low-fat food I was served ;)

Reactions: mahola

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still, there was no way I could control my BG with all the sugar-laden, low-fat food I was served ;)

As a diet only diabetic that is what worries me the most! I would have to rely on people bringing food in for me.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Suing them may result in the closure of the hospital then you would feel like a right jerk.

Crickey. How much do you think you can sue for? Apparently, you think it's enough to bankrupt a hospital. Compensation in clinical negligence claims in England and Wales is just that, compensation for losses suffered. So whatever losses claimed for are going to have to be proven by the claimant, claimant's don't get a blank cheque.

Who do you think pays the compensation? You seem to think it comes directly out of the pockets of the hospital if you think "suing them may result in the closure of the hospital". Have you heard of insurance? Luckily hospitals have.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
that is a great question -- and hopefully this is a great answer-- when anyone is in hospital they are there because they are poorly for one reason or another-- given that is the starting point, then add in taking injections and self monitoring glucose levels, and requiring adequate food intake, and you have a scenario where a type 1 daibetic's life sort of depends on the nursing staff being up to speed on care.................unfortunately many of our experiences prove that the opposite is true -- as T1D's we normally know loads more than our carers and entrusting them can seriously damage our health

imagine the first thing upon waking from anesthetic is ........... OMG what is my blood sugar , am I high , low , do I need insulin , do I need food ---- and remember -- it is as we are waking from an anesthetic ........

hope this helps the understanding :)

Reactions: Juicyj and Struma

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My question is, what do I do now? Can I sue for malpractice?

You need to ask yourself if you were or were not in a fit state to recognise that you were not being given insulin during your first 24hrs in hospital.

If you were not then you would have very good basis to follow it through.

If were then you'd need to think how this would stand up to scrutiny and examination.

Tallgardener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to ask yourself if you were or were not in a fit state to recognise that you were not being given insulin during your first 24hrs in hospital.

If you were not then you would have very good basis to follow it through.

If were then you'd need to think how this would stand up to scrutiny and examination.

I had vomited a lot of blood because I have a Mallory Weiss tear, so I was weak, confused and dehydrated. I also had an emergency endoscopy so I was given strong sedatives for that procedure.
So no, I wasn't in a fit state.
A lawyer has told me the two things I need are an admission of negligence (which I have in black and white) and to prove that their oversight has had an affect on my health. My neurologist will be able to check for any worsening in the nerves next week.