Gastroparesis and bacterial overgrowth

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi!

Does anyone here have gastroparesis? after numerous endoscopies I was diagnosed as having slow gut motility. I can only manage small meals and also get quite frequent bouts of bacterial overgrowth :oops: . I have tried taking probiotics, but I'm not sure if they do much...

I just wondered if anyone experiences similar problems?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Heve you tried Fybogel?

Fybogel granules contain the active ingredient ispaghula husk, which is a type of medicine called a bulk-forming laxative. It is used to treat constipation and can also be used to maintain normal bowel function in various bowel disorders.

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Me again..!

Also I do tend to get achey legs and fatigue a lot, (when I check my sugars they are normal) does anyone else with gastroparesis experience this? I am generally managing to maintain my weight, though I do find I have to keep an eye on it, as it does tend to drop off me!

I have come to recognise an episode of bacterial overgrowth and I find a course of ciprofloxacin seems to sort me out. However, my guts are still never particularly great.

Despite trying domperidone and metaclopamide, they do not seem to make any difference to my bloating and frequent bowel movements.

Because my exocrine pancreas has also stopped functioning (Autoimmune pancreatitis-I take Creon to replace the digestive enzymes) this may be a cause of my symptoms. I also had a bone scan and am osteoporotic

Celiac disease has been mentioned to me, especially as my cousin has been diagnosed and I am Irish=higher prevalence apparently! But I had a blood test and it came back negative.

Maybe I just need to accept that this is the way I am now, but every so often I do wonder if something else is going on! I am a bit of a complex one!

On the up side, although I am a bit scared, I'm hoping getting an insulin pump may start to improve my health :)

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Thank you WhitbyJet!

I'm really glad you're feeling much better!

I have already been avoiding lactose and that has definitely helped my symptoms- they were a lot worse before that!

My sugars have been increasingly improving, however a bit disappointingly this hasn't done much to improve the symptoms I experience. However, maybe when I start pump therapy, having as tight control as possible will help!

In terms of carbs, I do find bread and pasta very bloat inducing, but for some reason rice seems to go down alright! Maybe like you say, I should try to eliminate foods that seem a trigger to see if that helps?!

Thanks again for your advice.

All the best :)