Gestational Diabetes and Insulin

LauraJ

Hi all.

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with gestation diabetes (sorry if that introduction sounds a bit "aa" meeting, but it does feel a little bit like a confession!)

I'm trying to control by diet, and am getting better at it. Before meals I tend to be around 4 / 4.1, and after meals aside from a few slips higher, I'm below the 7.5 that is written in the book as the "target" range. Yet today I've once again been told that I because there has been a few 7.4's and 7.5's, I may need to start on insulin.

I'm really not happy at all about doing that, especially since I feel I have readings popping up in the 3.9 and below range, yet they seem to be getting ignored. My "average" readings from the blood tests they send me for have both come back at around the 5.0 range, so I really don't understand why they are so keen to keep "threatening" me with insulin.. and that is what it feels like. Its like they dont really mean it, but by saying it I will keep working hard on my diet.

I cant seem to find any literature to read on Insulin and pregnancy, and I'm so tempted to refuse and try to stick to diet only.. its all very confusing, and i'm quite emotional as it is!

I wasnt testing in my last pregnancy (7 years ago!) and my son was 9.7 when born, looking at all the growth charts and scans that determine size of "bump" it all looks like its heading to be the same size. Its also weird to me that since I became pregnant I have have little to no appetite. The first few months I felt so ill I couldnt eat or even smell food, had my appendix out and the sickness passed although the appetite didnt really return, so finding out I was diabetic I've been having to almost force myself to eat "proper" meals instead of grazing on things like I was.

Sorry for the ramble, but I feel so lost and threatened by everything thats happening, I was hoping that someone out there could share their experiences, or point me towards some extra reading on gestational diabetes and diet / insulin, and what happens after.

Thank you

Laura x

sugar2

Hi,

Only a few weeks to go, you must be excited! I am type 1, so have been on insulin since I was 4, and continued to take it during both pregnancies. theer is some data to show that insulin does not harm the unborn baby...but it is hard to find. Seriously, don't worry about that!

It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of looking after yourself, and THEY (medical bods!) always seem to forget to say that. Personally, if they threaten you again, demand to see the top person. It does sound like they are being a bit jobsworth to me. The thing is, you obviously want to do teh best thing for your baby, and keeping the best control of your blood sugar is the best you can do. I do not know when is teh right time to start insulin, and if they do start you on insulin, they should give you a tiny dose, and make sure that this is OK.

Taking insulin should not be a threat, although having been on it for over 30 years, I can still see why it feels like this. If you need it, you need it, but I would certainly get a 2nd opinion is this is a seriuos suggestion. I know that sometiimes, it is used as a threat, becasue sadly sometimes people need a threat to make them look after the baby. Clearly, this does not apply in your case, I really admire how well you are taking control of this. It is hard enough coping with pregnancy, without learning all about a complicated condition like diabetes, take care, Jill

LauraJ

Thanks Jill.

Think I'm feeling a wee bit emotional at the moment so taking things much more to heart than I probably would. I've just heard from so many people where they've been told that their baby is so big (and it isnt) and how they were induced early, for things like size and they'd got it all wrong... Guess its now that it all gets scary anyway, without the whole "diabetes" thing added to the mix.

Guess I'll know more next week when I ring in with this weeks readings. Just feels so... bleak I suppose. I may feel better once I finish work though and can take things easier :)

Thank you again for taking the time to reply and share your experiences. It means a lot to hear from others...

Laura x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya laura,
sorry i cant help with gestational diabetes as i got type 1 after my children, but im sorry to hear your fed up, it will all be alright and soon u will have a gorgeous little bundle of love :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Laura.

I'm a Midwife. I can't offer any personal advice but I can say to you that 'they' can't do anything to you without your permission.
An offer of induction is just that, an offer. Ask your care providers for the pros and cons of everything they are offering and ask for the research to back it up.

Try typing in 'benefits of ........in pregancy' or 'risks of.......in pregnancy' in a search engine. Stick to the british sites.

Feeling the way you do at this stage is entirely normal. No real help, I know, but soon you will be gazing into those little eyes and smelling that lovely baby smell.

wifib