Gestational diabetes - followup unclear -

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What are normal blood sugar levels? If you are not diabetic & not controlling your diet?

I had Gestational diabetes diagnosed at 24 weeks of pregnancy. Treated through diet control with BS monitoring. At 31 weeks, my fasting BS was around 6, and UK consultants wanted to start me on insulin. I asked for one last hospital-done fasting BS, got 5.3 and declined to start insulin as I was leaving the country for job re-location. (Baby was measuring small/average for #/weeks of pregnancy).

My morning results were the main problem and during the pregnancy I often had pre-meal readings below 4 and almost always below 5.5. I could only get a morning FBS < 5.5 with a 12 hour fast.

Once in Switzerland, my obstetrician (who was reputed to have GD experience) seemed much less concerned with my BS levels. Baby was born OK (CS) without low BS levels after birth and just 3.2 kg birth weight. OB regards his work as done.

Now I need to find a GP and organise follow-up care in Switzerland and I would like to know what 'normal' BS levels are, for a non-diabetic, not practising diet/carb control, to give myself a point of reference. I can't seem to find out what "Normal" blood sugar results are.

I have been sporadically taking my fasting BS (last few sensor sticks from UK), results between 5 - 6.7, and not controlling my diet as carefully. As tempting as it is to stick my head in the sand, I want to try to take responsibility for my eating and not leave it to annual fasting BS tests (as after my last GD pregnancy 5 years ago). Any sources of information gratefully received.

padulica

Hi,
I had gestational diabetes controlled by diabetes 14 yrs ago, I am now at the stage that without altering my diet I would be diabetic.
In UK you would have a GGT at 6 weeks after your baby was born to make sure things were back to normal and then yearly BG....although a midwife whom is dedicated to diabetes in pregnancy was saying that it should be a yearly GGT...but I have only had the anual BG.
My fasting BG is my problem, recommeded to be less than 6. Between 6 and 7 classed as pre diabetes BUT if your 2 hr sample is normal here you are classed as normal which mine was.
I decided to control my own diet, I can only get my fasting below 6 if I eat all my carbs during the day and don't eat large meals or high carbs later than 6pm. I can eat nuts and dark chocolate very late at night!!!