Gestational diabetes to Type 1 diabetes

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i'm wondering if anyone else is in the same situation?
I wrote a long post in the Greetings/intro thread, it seems more common that gestational diabetes develops into type 2, but did anybody end up with type 1 diabetes after GD?

CarolinaP

This is my first post. But that is exactly what happened to me. I had GD in my first pregnancy. The about 1 year later I went to the doctor and at first the GP diagnosed me with type 2 but the next day I was rushed to hospital with DKA and a new diagnose of type 1. I was told as I did not have very high BG with the GD it could be the beggining of the autoimmune atack and with the extra insulin resistance of the pregnancy my pancreas could not cope. Or I still carry the risk of having insulin resistance later on in lyfe. I much prefer the first option...

bethan90

I have been taught that it is not possible for gestational diabetes to develop in to type 1. However, those who are diagnosed type 1 shortly after having GD may have actually already had type 1 developing when they were pregnant and it just so happens it was picked up during pregnancy, therefore assumed to be gestational diabetes... If that makes sense?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most of the info you read suggests that you are likely to develop T2 after gestational diabetes but on forums I've come across what seems to be a lot of women who developed T1. (Forums though are probably unrepresentative ; women in this position may have gone onto forums because they hadn't expected to get T1 and were looking for answers)

There's a Finnish study that followed a group of women with GD for about 6 years after their pregnancy. They also tested them for the relevant antibodies at the time of their pregnancy.

"Pregnancy seems to identify women who are at risk of developing diabetes later in life. About 10% of Finnish women with GDM will develop diabetes over the next 6 years; nearly half of them develop type 1 diabetes and the other half type 2 diabetes. Age < or =30 years, the need for insulin treatment during pregnancy, and positivity for ICAs and GADAs confer a high risk of subsequent progression to type 1 diabetes in women affected by GDM."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16505514

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks! :) i'm still honeymooning now and i was taken off insulin at the end of july (was diagnosed t1 on the 17th july) my readings are something like this:

Fasting - 6.5
2 hour after breakfast - 5-6mmol
2 hour after evening meal - 6mmol

I know this won't last forever but it does seem slow onset type 1 diabetes (especially since i'm quiet young, 20 years old) my first pregnancy started december 2009 (went for a GTT at 28 weeks pregnant (June 2010) after a couple of antenatal appointments my urine was ++++ glucose. It supposedly went away after my first pregnancy, my 6 week post partum GTT was normal) and i tested a few times within that year then we concieved baby #2 in September 2011, i requested an early GTT as i was worried just incase, at 12 weeks it came back high, so because i didn't follow the typical gestational/type 2 criteria they did antibody tests/c peptide or something, which indicated borderline type 1.

The insulin is still in my fridge, not looking forward to restarting it again! Does anyone have any idea how long my honeymoon will last? x