1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting a flu jab

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Wookie1974, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Wookie1974

Wookie1974 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi, does anyone have any info on whether getting the flu jab is necessary. From my last Hba1c (45) I am in the pre diabetic range and my finger prick readings are good. Cheers.

2. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I’ve had a non diabetic Hba1c for approx 7 years and still have a flu jab.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've had non diabetic HbA1c for approx 3 years and still get offered/have flu jag

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

I have had normal hba1c for seven years and still get notified when it's due.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wookie1974

OK thanks everyone for the quick replys. It all helps greatly.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I have had the flu jab for years, long before I was even diabetic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You don’t have to have a flu jab it’s entirely up to you. I have never had a flu and been diabetic over 20 years!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well clearly no one is forcing anyone to have it, but it’s more about the fact that being diabetic means flu is a greater impact onto you than if you weren’t.

I don’t understand your argument I’m afraid

• Like Like x 2
  9. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Expert

I got the jab for other reasons long before diabetes rolled around. Considering that blood sugars rise when ill, and we can get hit with that sort of thing harder than those who don't have it... It's up to you, really. But that's the stuff that should carry weight when you make a descision.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wookie1974

OK thanks everyone. Not been in this position before being diagnosed, it's all a bit confusing and the Gp surgery, although being very good seems ready to throw medication at everything. I like to find out as much info as possible before agreeing with what they say is best for me. It's the conspiracy theorist in me;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a diabetic you are probably entitled to pneumonia jab too. This is a one-time-only thing, unless you are immuno-compromised in some other way.

I have had both jabs this year, my BG is good and I don’t want to upset it by being badly ill!

• Like Like x 1
  12. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It seems flu has been trumped by the new boy in town this year judging by flu levels ... Doesn't mean you shouldn't have the jab if you are vulnerable e.g. age and diabetes. It is a personal decision and you may want to consider your general health too e.g. how are your blood sugars, how well do you cope with colds/chesty virus things?
    I think the pneumonia jab only goes to the over 70s but stand to be corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well reducing human contact is likely to have had impact on other transmitted infections and diseases, so not surprising really

I am aware a few people who started the flu jab after then had it once and realised how much it impacted them. Purely personal but since becoming diabetic, I found when I get a cold or similar, it hits me a lot harder than before. So I take the judgement call that I’d rather be vaccinated to reduce the risk. I have also had the pneumonia jab

It might be that it doesn’t impact when you get ill, hopefully so! Or it might be that it becomes a significant illness as your body doesn’t work the same way

If you should always investigate carefully. Doctors do tend to throw drugs at diabetics. I do take some and have taken more but pushed back on some such as statins so your body and you need to be informed. That’s my view

• Like Like x 2
  14. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dunno, you could be right, but they offered it to me and I’m 56 and 11/12ths :cat: and my GP practice is not renowned for going above and beyond! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Happy nearly 57th then! Will see what happens when my mileometer turns over to 50 next year.

16. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get one every year on my own dime. Interestingly, Singapore has two flu seasons, I only get it when the northern hemisphere is active.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lamont D

I think the age that your allowed the flu jab is sixty, unless you are in the at risk group.
    I had the pneumonia jab in 2015.
    As always there are those that are eligible.

18. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

My husband and I always go together for our flu jabs and are in the same room with the same nurse at the same time. When he was 70 he was offered the pneumonia one alongside the flu. I wasn't. I asked and was told I was only 69. I had to wait another year. A bit daft as we were both in there together.

19. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having had "real" flu, I would have one even if I had to pay for it. If I can avoid being that ill again, I'll do it, I ended up on steriods and was a hairs breadth from being admitted to hospital

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. Lamont D

Postcode lottery?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook