1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting a flu jab

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Wookie1974, Dec 1, 2020.

1. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

"It's the carbs." For me those words should be written in giant letters. Since going low carb and losing over 25 kilos, I have been in remission. But any carbs above 50-60g a day send the scales spinning upwards. I love cheese biscuits and bread and succumb occasionally, repenting at leisure over the following week as I crawl back down to my previous levels. I need about 1000 calories a day and limited carbs. But on that I have greatly improved health and quality of life, far better than ten years ago, despite advancing age. (But yes, I do miss the wine, bread, biscuits etc. If only....)

2. Tedrick69

Tedrick69 Type 2 · Active Member

I'm kind of the same attitude, Sarah. I've been Type 2 for 15 years and had the flu virus only 2/3 times. The last time I had flu was before I even acquired T2D.

3. Andy V

Andy V Type 1 · Member

I'm with Andy. Type 1 diabetic of 50 years. Well controlled. Have caught flue twice in life. Very bad. Better o err on side of caution and have flu jab. And in case it's part of the discussion...there is absolutely no evidence, reason or cause to suspect the flu jab. Just in case there are any out there entertaining the conspiracy approach, let it go, opt for good health.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rupeeted

Rupeeted · Newbie

I am diabetic and have the flu jab...this year I also had the pneumonia jab.

5. Hamfanjan

Hamfanjan · Member

Pneumonia vaccine is offered to 65yrs and over. 2 -64 yrs if particular underlying health conditions.

6. Hamfanjan

Hamfanjan · Member

Flu vaccine is less than 50% effective. Often being said when the Pfizer covid vaccine first ready and said to be 95% effective.
    People don't have vaccines for different reasons. I don mean the anti vax lot. But people like myself who react not well to most drugs. I have ME and always been advised not to have it. I can't even tolerate mild pain killers like paracetamol. my partner has type 1 and has flu vaccine every year. BUT this year not so far. Only a drive through at a church a fair distance away. We have no transport. He has been told to go to a pharmacy then. He hasn't been out since March. I am housebound all, the time anyway.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook