Getting a pump

Fletchr

I have no faith with the Diabetic clinic I am with in Inverness I have lost that over the past 4.5 years. I was recomended an insulin pump over three years ago but the powers that be decided that I could not have one becuase of the cost NICE, I am a type2 diabetic but have been on insulin for 6 years, I cannot get my bloods down below the 20s if I dont eat I can get them down to 17-18.

I keep going to the clinic and have been up and down the scale four times and still I am not getting results I am on a level of insulin 3x25 units of nova rapid 120 units of levemir and 10 of Byetta.

They took me into hospital for two days to get my bloods down and you guessed it failed I was in for a week in Raigmore I have now got damage to my feet hands and eyes it seems and I have just been told that the drugs I get to help with the pain are to expensive as well. What do I do now as I have given up the doctor said I would have to jump through hoops to get a pump well I have jumped but no more. :twisted:

jopar

It's hard to know what to sugest, as Funding in Scotland is slightly different than in England and wales, Even if you had been England being T2 still would make pump funding very difficult, as the NICE guidelines are based on T1 diabetes and sadly not T2 as well...

About the only thing I can suggest is google for the INPUT website as they might be able to advise a lot better than any of us could on here, or direct you in someone who can..

It does sound like you've got some very high insulin residence issue's which needs to be addressed somehow, either by having a closer look at what's happening in your diet, there are stronger strenghs of insulin, U500 which can be imported from America, under a special licence for individual patients might be something for your diabetic team to look at..

Sorry couldn't be more helpful

Fletchr

Thanks for the reply, I just needed to let of some steam, I cant even bring myself to talk with the diabetic as I have been here before (several times) I do what I can myself and I think thats all I can do.

Thanks again.

iHs

i think the NICE guidelines regarding insulin pump therapy are in need of an overhaul. When the guidelines were written only a small proportion of type 2's needed insulin but of course things have now changed. There are now many diabetic people who start off on oral med and end up being dependant on insulin. My friend is one such person and now uses an insulin pump.

U500 insulin is extremely expensive (about 10x the cost of a pack of 5 x 3ml cartridges) and comes in a 30ml vial. It's also a bit on the painful side to inject as it is concentrated. To justify its cost, someone would be in need of using at least 800 to 1000 units of U100 per day.

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I completely feel your frustration!!!

Im also trying to get a pump, Im a Type 2 (apparently, well they think, not 100% sure, lol)

Cannot get my BG blow 20 for more than an hour a day, am on 80u Lantus, plus Humalog 20 breakfast, 30 lunch and 40 for dinner!!

NICE isnt so nice to Type 2's they need to sort it out!! Actually should there really be a discrimination between the types of diabetics!! hmmm!!!

Good Luck with your fight!! let us know how you get on!