Getting back to training and a slight hypo issue :(

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hi guys,

Finally back in training mode, I've had 3 weeks off due to illness and long hours at work but I'm finally back running and at the gym. the effect on my sugars is amazing, I've certainly missed having the good results. Whilst I'm not training I have to increase all my basals to compensate.

I usually do my workouts before work so 6.30am (ish).
Bs before is usually a nice 5-7 and after I can be between 4-5.
I eat my breakfast straight away and then go to work (obviously after a shower). The problem I have is mid morning I'm going hypo still and I can't reduce my basal any more because I will go high quickly then (currently on 0.15 units per hour on an insulin pump) - would you suggest readjusting my morning bolus to a 0.5/10g ratio rather than a 1:1 ratio to maybe cut out the mid morning hypo? I'm definitely carb counting correctly as it works perfect on non training days. The only problem with reducing the ratios is that I might spike because of the breakfast porridge I have...?

what do you think?

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
This morning:

Bs before gym 8.4
Bs after gym 5.5
60g porridge with 30g raisens gave a bolus of 6.1units. I felt it was a little high but did it anyway
Got to work at 9.30am - bs 2.3 (glucose tabs and an apple)
Lunchtime bs 2.7 - lucozade and I'vejust eaten a jacket potato with tuna

Tomorrow I'm going to change my breakfast ration to 1 unit per 15g carb instead of 1:10g

VickiT11979

Do you reduce your basal before & during exercise? I find this helps - I set a temp basal rate starting ideally at least 1hr before I start exercising & continuing until I stop, it's trial & error as to how much as everyone's different, but I reduce by 30-40%. Basal changes take 1-2hrs to have an effect, so this should mean you have less basal on board for 1-2 hrs after the exercise which might help your hypos.
I don't really exercise just before meals, so can't help with bolus changes afterwards - sorry.

Faith*

Dislikes
Thanks for replying VickiT11979. I do reduce my basal by approx 30% but i've no idea why I'm having so many hypos at the moment. It's really strange. I'm going through my diaries to see when it all started from and if I've done something to change it! Do you usually exercise after meals?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Slightly old thread, but i'll chip in. I dont know much about pumps, but before I used to change my insulin dose because of exercise I used to have a snack. I'm a morning exercise person too and used to have a cereal bar mid morning to stop the hypos.

Faith*

Dislikes
Hi SamJB,

I've pretty much sussed it all out now thanks, I think it was my body struggling to get used to it all again having took a few weeks out. Must have been a shock :)

I know now to take of a unit of insulin at breakfast after a gym session and to eat my snack a little earlier. I've not had a hypo for a few days so think i've cracked it.

Thanks for replying :D