1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting fed up with food

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Robbieswan, Dec 3, 2017.

1. miszu

miszu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At first I was like now its time to get creative in the kitchen but very soon I lost all my passion for food and cooking, loved baking as well but stopped for same reason. All the carb counting and nos was just too much pain. But now I just look at the plate and know exactly how much carbs it is, time and experience makes it easier. Still sometimes depressed about food but very rarely and Xmas is close so its time to get up go to the kitchen and get creative again! I also want to bake something for my T2 grandma that she can enjoy without feeling guilty. Its hard with diabetes but dont let it get to u. It ll get easier and u ll get use to it. Hope u feel better. Have an amazing day. X

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I do.
    What is your ultimate favourite food, the one which tops all others, normally?

3. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Me too. Used to love cooking, creating, baking. Too much work now. Of course I cook but I cook proteins in bulk and package in my size portions. Add some avo, veggies and fat and done. No fuss, no muss. No clean up. I love the food so eat and they work so I just eat those and forget the rest. It was far too complicated trying to count and dose right. I change the flavors and textures with herbs and spices. Thankfully, they don’t bore me.

We’re going on holiday next week to see my parents. I will be cooking all the evening meals. We bring some food and buy some when we get there for our hotel. We make sure it has a refrigerator. It just takes so much anxiety away I can’t even tell you.

I have a hard time not being anxious about eating out since I found out I was eating gluten in guacamole!!! You NEVER know what you’re going to get.

Variety is not always the spice of life. Especially with D.

@Robbieswan, I think we all have made drastic changes to our diets at DX. I’m sure we were all confused, anxious and disheartened. But eventually we found through trial and error what works and what doesn’t. I still (3.5 years) get angry that I have to eat when I’m not hungry or busy or that I can’t eat when I want to. This is all why we have our own names for D. It’s not easy but you will get the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At diagnosis, for me, "food was the enemy." We got that sorted, although it took months to be honest (I say "we" because my wife helped an awful lot). But once the BG issue was fixed with diet, I became a kidney-stone factory, and once again, "food is the enemy" but for different, and so-far-obscure, reasons. What I learned from the first time around is just to cook and enjoy the stuff (with medical awareness), and then experiment further if it doesn't work out, medically speaking. Robbieswan: As a T1 you actually have a much wider food choice than I have!

Edited to add:
    My name for it is unprintable:D.

#24 Grateful, Dec 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. leahkian

leahkian · Well-Known Member

When i got diabetes in 1979 you were on strict food program i.e no chocolate and only plain biscuits but as time have gone on things have improved. I had a pancreas and kidney in 2015 which allowed me to eat anything i wanted but 2 and a 1/2 years later it still feels strange, for the first 6 months i was still carb counting even though i had no need to. I still find that i eat the same things as before in fact i eat more healthy as i have no need for carbs, i no that you can get sick of eating the same things all the time. What i used to do is add some herbs or spices to make it taste a bit different and as i like hot food i put chillies to add a bit of heat to the dish. As people have said that mental health problems does effect how hungry you are, after 1 year after my transplant i was putting on weight on but not eating. I was told that i was not eating enough and what i was going on my belly, so now i have 3 meals a day with weetabix, fruit salad and maybe steak, chips and salad. So i do not eat a lot of carbs but do i have a treat once or twice a week maybe a takeaway or pudding. Once you get to no what you are facing then you can enjoy food a bit more and have a treat now and then.

6. Parisemo

Parisemo Type 1 · Active Member

Once you've learnt the amount of cars for each dish, herbs and spices used make a difference. Try Pinterest too they have many recipes for diabetics. I change deserts and cakes using Canderel. For every 100grms of sugar use 100grms of Canderel?

7. Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat Type 1 · Newbie

Hi i’ve been diabetic type one for 37 years now and I’ve only just got my appetite back after swapping from Levemir insulin to tresiba once a day and appetite has improved so maybe it’s just a case of finding a new insulin. Tim bowlerhat

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. pensionistamike

pensionistamike Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Looking for advice ,,,,my appetite is too good....I could eat for England.....but.....I am a 79 yr old
    Type 2 (42 yrs ) ...have Bladder Cancer (12 yrs ) and now just recently told I have Chronic Kidney
    Disease (Stage 3 )
    What can I eat and drink that suits all 3 and does least damage ...especially to the Kidneys?.
    My Sugar levels are more or less OK and my BP is checked every 2 weeks and is in the normal range.
    There is nothing I cant eat so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards to everyone.

9. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

@pensionistamike - It strikes me your post likely would do best, as a thread of it's own? Your situation is, as you say, very different from Robbieswann, and my not get the attention it needs to help you out, whilst mingling here.

You don't have to follow my suggestion, because it is just that, but if you do want your post to be a new thread, any of the Mods can move it for you.

(Sorry to interject, @Robbieswan .)

10. pensionistamike

pensionistamike Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for your suggestion......I would be obliged if you could move it to where you as a Moderator
    think it should be.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook