1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting full license back?

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by Lemonie, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am on a 3 year license as I was using insulin to control my diabetes. I am now diet controlled and want to reapply for a full (longer) license again. I am going round in circles on the DVLA website and every link I click on goes where I don't want to go.

Has anybody done this and what did you do?

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you wait until your 3 year license comes up for renewal ? - your doc will then have the opportunity to tell DVLA that you don't use insulin anymore.

#2 urbanracer, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:23 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  3. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You could always call the DVLA? The worst they can suggest is as urbanracer suggests, as I can't think the "limited" license is impeding you in any way at the moment?

4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Write them a letter with your driver number and medical reference no. on it explaining you are no longer on insulin, they will send loads of forms back and write to your GP so it will take a while to do so. Might be a better option to download the Db1 or what ever it's called and write no on the insulin question and enclose with your letter.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook