Type 1 Getting Sick On Flights And End Up On Drips In Hospital!!

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When ever i fly I end up in hospital! Start getting sick and can't stop. Last 3 flights I have been on 2 ended up with me puking and 2 hospital stays. Type 1 19 years pump hba1c in 7s. Could this be a complication??

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Possible cause.
- motion sickness
- reaction to low air pressure
- psychological fear of flying
- there is something that does not agree with you in airline food

in the more expensive seats
- consuming too much free alcohol.

ask your GP if you can get suitable meds to overcome some of the first three

Reactions: mf

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When ever i fly I end up in hospital! Start getting sick and can't stop. Last 3 flights I have been on 2 ended up with me puking and 2 hospital stays. Type 1 19 years pump hba1c in 7s. Could this be a complication??

How long are the flights, and what do you actually do on them? By the latter I mean, do you have the in-flight hospitality, and does that differ enormously to your normal way of eating?

OK, who eats airline food at home, but I mean the components of the meals/snacks.

Reactions: mf

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possible cause.
- motion sickness
- reaction to low air pressure
- psychological fear of flying
- there is something that does not agree with you in airline food

in the more expensive seats
- consuming too much free alcohol.

ask your GP if you can get suitable meds to overcome some of the first three
No fear of flying. Don't eat on flight as they were only 1hr. 30 min in and I was .

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
and then there is the abysmal air quality on flights. if you bring a pulse oxymeter, test your O2 % before, during and at theend of flight? Notice any lowering of the oxygen level when you are feeling nauseous?
30 min into hour flight I felt sick and cudnt stop.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are the flights, and what do you actually do on them? By the latter I mean, do you have the in-flight hospitality, and does that differ enormously to your normal way of eating?

OK, who eats airline food at home, but I mean the components of the meals/snacks.
Flight was 1hr didn't eat anything on flight.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flight was 1hr didn't eat anything on flight.

Gosh - That's quite a reaction within an hour!

Do you suffer motion sickness if you travel by other means? Do your ears pop a lot?

As the flight is only an hour, in your shoes, I'd maybe try sucking on a hard sweet, like a butterscotch/glacier fruit or something and see if that helped.

Do you have a widow or aisle seat, or doesn't it matter? I'd try a window seat and look out the window, so that I could see an horizon.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh - That's quite a reaction within an hour!

Do you suffer motion sickness if you travel by other means? Do your ears pop a lot?

As the flight is only an hour, in your shoes, I'd maybe try sucking on a hard sweet, like a butterscotch/glacier fruit or something and see if that helped.

Do you have a widow or aisle seat, or doesn't it matter? I'd try a window seat and look out the window, so that I could see an horizon.
1sr time I was in the aisle seat and 2nd time in the middle seat. Last year I was in car journey that was 6 hours long after 1st hour I was getting sick and ended up in hospital again. Even if a bad smell made me sick I can't stop! Can't drink any more cos it's not worth the hospital trip!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1sr time I was in the aisle seat and 2nd time in the middle seat. Last year I was in car journey that was 6 hours long after 1st hour I was getting sick and ended up in hospital again. Even if a bad smell made me sick I can't stop! Can't drink any more cos it's not worth the hospital trip!!

Have you tried something like Stugeron to see if that helps?

Have you had your eyes tested recently? The reason I ask that left field question in a cousin of mine's motion sickness disappeared when he started wearing glasses.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you suffer with any other complications? There can be a lot of toxins when flying. Just a thought.
Also O2 levels. Could be suffering mild hypoxia but that usually presents as confusion or euphoria. Drink lots of water when flying and avoid alcohol as you can still get dehydrated on a short flight.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried something like Stugeron to see if that helps?

Have you had your eyes tested recently? The reason I ask that left field question in a cousin of mine's motion sickness disappeared when he started wearing glasses.
No I haven't tried them and I had my eyes testes 6 months ago.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you suffer with any other complications? There can be a lot of toxins when flying. Just a thought.
Also O2 levels. Could be suffering mild hypoxia but that usually presents as confusion or euphoria. Drink lots of water when flying and avoid alcohol as you can still get dehydrated on a short flight.
Had laser few years ago and had baby 19 months ago and morning sickness was awful. Was in hospital at least once a week then. I don't drink.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mf - Do you have to fly, or are there other options for travelling that distance? How do you get on, on trains or coaches?

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mf - Do you have to fly, or are there other options for travelling that distance? How do you get on, on trains or coaches?
For holidays mainly! God I wasn't on a train in years, and i drive. It's just annoying me if i plan a holiday or 2 meet up with friends I'm sick and in a hospital in a different country!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For holidays mainly! God I wasn't on a train in years, and i drive. It's just annoying me if i plan a holiday or 2 meet up with friends I'm sick and in a hospital in a different country!!

Provided you have no conditions that would render it unsafe, in your shoes, I would be inclined to try some Stugeron and see if there was any impact. I would try it as a passenger first time, rather than when actually driving myself.

Stugeron is available over the counter, but it takes a good couple of hours to reach its peak effectiveness, so you would need to take the tablet before travelling. Details and the patient information leaflet are here: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1529/smpc

If you had your eyes tested (a sight test, as opposed for the diabetic eye screening), I am assuming you use any correction glasses or lenses you were advised for driving?

I can imagine how this sort of thing would put you off travelling.

As I say, my suggestions are what I would do. You have to do what you feel safe doing.

mf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Provided you have no conditions that would render it unsafe, in your shoes, I would be inclined to try some Stugeron and see if there was any impact. I would try it as a passenger first time, rather than when actually driving myself.

Stugeron is available over the counter, but it takes a good couple of hours to reach its peak effectiveness, so you would need to take the tablet before travelling. Details and the patient information leaflet are here: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1529/smpc

If you had your eyes tested (a sight test, as opposed for the diabetic eye screening), I am assuming you use any correction glasses or lenses you were advised for driving?

I can imagine how this sort of thing would put you off travelling.

As I say, my suggestions are what I would do. You have to do what you feel safe doing.
Thanks il look into those! I don't wear glasses. It's just annoying really!

dipsydo

A thought which may be worth a try and may only be a placebo effect but if it works then that would be good.
There is accupuncture point on your wrist which if you press it is meant to help with travel sickness. There are bands which you can buy to enable you to put pressure on the right point . The bands can be bought off the internet or even from Boots. They work by pressing on the P6 ( Nei Kuan ) acupuncture point . I am not saying they will work for you but may be worth a try as they should have no side effects.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A thought which may be worth a try and may only be a placebo effect but if it works then that would be good.
There is accupuncture point on your wrist which if you press it is meant to help with travel sickness. There are bands which you can buy to enable you to put pressure on the right point . The bands can be bought off the internet or even from Boots. They work by pressing on the P6 ( Nei Kuan ) acupuncture point . I am not saying they will work for you but may be worth a try as they should have no side effects.

In UK, as well as other brands, those are marketed as "Sea Bands" (other brands are available). My, now retired, keen sailor, GP was involved in the development of these particular ones.