gfr kidney disese

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I realy should stop asking questions at the drs when I know im not going to get a definative answer. I asked about my kidney function test last week and was told by dn oh its in the relms of normal or did she say expectid wch ever ot was I found it to be an evasive answer. So today when at drs about scan ( cyst on kidney but not affecting kidney . And very fatty liver ) I asked what my gfr was as I had heared the term on here and though I should know especially as I disstrust my dn and dr . Any how he said it was greater than 60 . Well I know normal is above 90 and obviously 90 IS above 60 after all. Buy im guessing it doesnt mean that . I had already been told last week I have kidney damage and a half harted grunt when I askd if it was diabetic kidney disese . I hadnt realy looked it up before tonight but now I have I'm a bit annoyed, not knowing realy what kidney disese was (and still dont realy) I had thought diabetic kidney disese was dangerous but not as dangerous as real kidney diese (strange how the mind workes ). I had heared people on here talk about ckd and thought oh that must be terrible they have got the real thing mine is just somthing the diabetes has caused/related. But having looked up tonight I seem to have not been given the whole sp from the doc. Now pls correct me (gentally pls. I may have missconceptions but am willing to be educated) from what I can gather what I thought to be dkd (diabetic kidney disese) which was suposidly discovered by the pressence of certain protines on my urie during 2 urine tests . I would have thought that the reduced kidney function wpuld have given a clue somthing was starting to go wrong. I read tonight that most labs now say gfr > 30, > 60 ,> 90 . And that if over 90 but with the protienes or 60 to 90 no protienes then its stage 1 ckd (cronic kidney disese) if between 60 to 90 and protienes (proteinuria) then you have stage 2 ckd . Which would put me in the stage 2 ckd range. if that is true then shouldnt my dr have told me rarther than and almost noncommittal grunt when asked if dkd as if he didnt want to lable it. shouldnt he have put me right about it being ckd and at what stage (I know im not verry far down the line with it) I am angry about the lack of infomation and education I would also have thought that at this point it would have been usefull to have gotten a more accurate gfr which I know some on here have obtained as a gfr of 89 surly has to be better than one of 61 and surley it would indicate which way you are heading . Or am I compleatly wrong .

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi James

I'd like to know more about this subject too as low Gfr affects me(and Andy12345 too I believe) but no doctors want to really explain anything apart from "Keep taking the Ramipril..." My Gfr is in the low 50's yet I don't even know what stage CKD I actually have :(

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
http://www.renal.org/whatwedo/Informati ... alGFR.aspx
According to a web site I have come across from what you have said then you are stage 3 . But I dont understand why we should have to be making our own daignosises . Havent we got enough other **** to worry about yhan having to do our own reacherch Into our own medical preblem because our drs cant be ***** to properly educate us or inform us of what is going on. And then you have the fact that you feel like a fraud as you are not 100% sure whats going on or even if you truly have ckd and lets face if somtime you have to get things out and talk to someone it bad enough telling them you have kidney damage and kidney disese with out haveing it in the back of your head you may be (with the best will in the world) lieing . I personally would rather know and have a given diagnosis than all this cloak and dagger evasive answers , all it does is stress me out wich cant be good for me. Atleast then I can get my head arround it

paul-1976 said:
Hi James

I'd like to know more about this subject too as low Gfr affects me(and Andy12345 too I believe) but no doctors want to really explain anything apart from "Keep taking the Ramipril..." My Gfr is in the low 50's yet I don't even know what stage CKD I actually have :(

According to a web site I have come across

C

catherinecherub

This website explains mild to moderate kidney disease.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/mild-to ... ey-disease

This one explains more about a suitable diet.
http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atoztopic_nutrition-diet.cfm (This site has a copyright policy)

If you research then it would seem you need to keep blood pressure at normal levels,
do not drink too much alcohol,
Avoid NSAID type painkillers,
Reduce the amount of protein, salt and dairy foods you eat.

I would advise you going back to your Dr. asking for a print out and query if there any suggestions he can make to improve your kidney function.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Always ask for the actual results. A print out is best. The you can research it for yourself.
I too don't trust the clinicians to tell the truth. Too often I've caught them in downright lies.
Hana

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Have been put on ace inhibitors . So just building up the dose at mo . I am also new to diabetes so low carbing which means relativly high in protein and dairy. I have brought my bgd down but am nervous about going to a more normal diet as my bgs are far lower but doc still wants them ddown becauee of kidneys . I am at the limit he said he will prescribe for metformin and I am also exercising . My fear is if I go back to carbs that my bgs will creep up ( I am ultra low carb 5/15 grams per day ) I am not keen on going on the pills that force your pancreas to produce more/excess insulin as I beleive they have a verry high potential to distroy the pancreas' s ability to produce insulin. And the thought of taking insulin its self is the thing of nightmares and would cost me my livelyhood. I do also take 30/500 co-codamol for a accident several years ago. And I still dont know which is the more imediat threat the diabetes or the kidneys . Should I be eating to help kidneys and taking extra meds even though I dont want to for the diabetes. Or stay the course I am on as the diabetes is a major contributor to the ckd. Very confused and still dont knowmif I should be calling it kidney disese of mot. And aalthough the kidny function is not too bad yet . I have not seen what the figure for the proteins was yet but going of the appithy my dr usually shows and how seriously he is taking this i'm guessing it was alarmingly high. Just wish I had the facts and new exactially what to call it

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Amen to that hanna . But its not only the blatant lies but also the inuendo and ambiguas ansewers that they think you are to stupid to see through (behave you self andy) .

Oh andy lindt 90 cocoa chocolate 2 peices mixed in a small amount of hot water till desolved then add lime jelly and some cream then make up to full volume with cold water . Chocolate lime jelly pretty **** good mate

hanadr said:
Always ask for the actual results. A print out is best. The you can research it for yourself.
I too don't trust the clinicians to tell the truth. Too often I've caught them in downright lies.
Hana

lilybet

I had my HBA1C results last week and asked for a printout from my gp.
I saw that my kidney results were minus 59. My gp said it was nothing to concern myself about!
So I did what all we diabetics have to do, that is ignore the medics and do my own research, and low and behold my results indicate stage 2 kidney disease.
The cause?
Well my research appears to have a link with long term metformin use.

I attended the hospital with my mum on Friday. She is a type 2 diabetic and has been on metformin for twelve years.
I asked her consultant if there was a link between mums impaired kidney function and metformin.
His reply was that there is a link however, as she is in her late 70's, the benefits of taking metformin, outweigh the risks of kidney impairment!
So there we have it.
Metformin appears to have a negative effect on the kidneys and if you are unlucky as in my case it may deteriorate further.
What annoys me is that my gp brushed this aside and until my mum went to see her consultant last week, she had no idea that there was anything wrong with her kidneys.
What is going on here?
If there is a cause and effect between this medication and impaired kidney function, why aren't we being told about it by our doctors?
I do feel miffed that there appears to be a lack of concern by doctors, so what aren't they telling us?
Yes, all medication has side effects and it is a case of balancing the side effects with the benefits, but in my opinion that requires informed decisions, so why not let us know what is going on when we take certain meds?
Both my mum and I are non drinkers, so alcohol has played no part in this development!
Anyway, I have made an appointment to discuss this with my GP as I want to know if I should stop taking Metformin SR if there is a link between its consumption and kidney deterioration.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Sorry to tell you this chuck but gfr > 90 with but other signs = stage 1 gfr > 60 (wich usually mean between 60 & 90 ) with no symptoms = stage 1. gfr > 60 with other signs = stage 2. gfr < 59 (wich usually mean between 30 & 59 ) = stage 3 cronic kidney disease. But that being said I had only been on metformin fo 3 days when picked up on so I know its not that. I think its time to be demanding some answers

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ironically my egfr was 60 and when i asked the doc, i was dismissed being told they dont do anything about the kidney disease until it gets worse, heres the ironic part, im laying in a&e with tube sticking out of my arm after spending the day weeing pure blood, i suppose this was what the doc was waiting for, i love doctors :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Holy hope ???? Well not sure what to say nothing seems quite adequate. Just hope they get it sortedbfor you dude. Take it easy mate .

Andy12345 said:
ironically my egfr was 60 and when i asked the doc, i was dismissed being told they dont do anything about the kidney disease until it gets worse, heres the ironic part, im laying in a&e with tube sticking out of my arm after spending the day weeing pure blood, i suppose this was what the doc was waiting for, i love doctors :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ty but honestly im fine i have no pain, its just the bad news thats coming, but hey who here isnt used to that?