GI ratings

opacity

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Consumerism, waste, modern self-obsession with appearance, animal cruelty, pollution. Lies and liars.
Wouldn't it be nice if all food manufacturers were required by law to state the GI of their product on the label? That way we could all make informed choices about what we eat. It would be very educational for everyone, not only diabetics. With obesity being endemic, and with huge numbers of baby-boomers reaching the dangerous age for obesity related illness, it would be excellent government policy. I have started an online petition in Australia to help make this happen, but haven't had much response. Perhaps someone could start one in the UK.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's an excellent idea but doubt very much if the food industry will be prepared to pay for the necessary testing. There are very few British products on the Univ of Sydney data base.
In Australia you already have a basis with the GI symbol which is sponsored by the Univ of Sydney and the JDRF.
http://www.gisymbol.com.au/aboutus.php

elaine77

This stupid country whinge and moan about obesity yet they won't even ensure that all public food and beverage establishments provide sugar-free versions of all their soft drinks despite the fact they're all readily available in supermarkets.

Going out for a meal or a night out with friends and drinking lemonade throughout can lead to someone consuming 800 calories ON TOP of their meal hmmm wonder why we have an obesity problem! Instead of blaming just the people for obesity the government need to also take some responsibility! Other than Wetherspoons, since I have been diagnosed I have struggled to find ANY sugar free drinks when I've been either eating out or out for a few drinks with friends. If places provided the sugar free versions as standard not many people would request the sugar full version and everyone would be consuming less calories every single day from that alone.

Moral of the story is that the UK government are rubbish and won't do anything but blame the people, as always.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Another problem of quoting the GI of various food is (as I understand it) is that the GI will depend on how that food is prepared as this can alter the availability of the cabohydrates (compare the GI of a raw carrot to one "boiled to death"), also ripeness (compare a green banana to an over-ripe one) :crazy: :crazy:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
FergusCrawford said:
Another problem of quoting the GI of various food is (as I understand it) is that the GI will depend on how that food is prepared as this can alter the availability of the cabohydrates (compare the GI of a raw carrot to one "boiled to death"), also ripeness (compare a green banana to an over-ripe one) :crazy: :crazy:
You're correct of course . For those that don't use many manufactured foods knowing approximate GIs and something about the effect of cooking is probably sufficient .There are still many people whose diet includes lots of ready made food, a GI on the product could be helpful.
This is a useful summary of what effects GI. http://www.montignac.com/en/the-factors ... c-indexes/

However, it it would be good if some relatively unprocessed products were labelled. For example rice which can vary from very low to stratospheric in GI (we might then also to be able to source the really low GI rices; basmati isn't nearly as low as some). Similarly, there' are potential traps such as the difference between minimally prepared oats and highly processed oatmeal with sugar/flavourings added. A GI on the label would help people distinguish between the two.

desidiabulum

Government policy change might take forever. Perhaps a Certain Supermarket that is trying to market its concern for diabetics might be prompted to do it for its own products? Prompted by a Certain Diabetes Charity that it is working with? GI without GL etc is a very blunt and potentially misleading instrument, but at least it would be a gesture, and a potential help to a good many diabetics, as Phoenix says.

elaine77

Yes perhaps they could list GL instead of GI? I've heard that's a more accurate depiction for diabetics....

And as for the government, when its a policy they want they manage to get it through quick enough! Bedroom tax, school holiday tax and the like!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Unbeliever

The "certain supermarket " was once very supportive of the GI diet . I remember buying books about it published by them.and and onsale in their stores. I recently passed mine on to a newly diagnosed diabetic friend
but I remember buying them years before my own diagnosis. I think they once had a website supporting it to

this year would probably be the best possible time to get any sort of reasonable response.