Glargine question

sophsmam

Been having a few problems with levemir so tonight sophie's going back on to glargine.i think i read somewhere that with levemir you need a much larger amount.We arent quite sure how much to start her off with she is currently on 41 units.We are unable to contact the hospital until tommorow.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you still have Levemir left, why not use that until you can speak with hospital staff?

sophsmam

She doesn't have her full dose its took a week for the doctors to receive the prescription.And now they have it they won't give us levemir .And it's only just come to me about when having levemir you need a much larger dose.Im sure i read it on here somewhere but not sure.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would play it safe until you speak with the hospital clinic and give a reduced dose, most find that they need a lot less lantus than they did levemir so try do keep a eye on things in the mean-time.

Nigel

stabatha

I would give less until you can speak to your DN as I have been on both insulins and needed far less of the Glargine than I did of the Levimer, my DN said the Glargine is beefier than the Levimer so less is needed ( i was on 40 units of Levimer but only needed 22 units of Glargine) its far safer to be a bit high for a few days until you can get to speak to someone than have serious hypos and you can always give a little bit more short acting in the morning if high. You say that she is going back on the Glargine .... if thats the case I'd start off on the dose she was on when on the Glargine until you can seek help

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, why did your daughter change from Lantus to Levemir?
There are other long/intermediate acting insulins available aside from Lantus & levermir,and it might be worth considering a different variety. We are all different and analogue insulins do not suit everyone. Unfortunately most doctors can be rather blinkered when it comes to this fact, mostly due to ignorance & lack of experience. You can find a list of available insulins on this website.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-in-the-uk.html
Jus :)