Glasses or contact lenses

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've recently had a eye test and I need some extra can anyone recommend wether I should get contacts or glasses haven't a clue what they like as I've always had spot on vision and can anyone tell me if there Free with NHS Exemption card ?

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Re: Glasses or contact lenses

Hello JohnCopus.

Yes, NHS glasses are free if you have a NHS Exemption card.
If you have a mind to, you can pay a "little" extra, depending on
the cost
to upgrade the frames.

Don't know about contact lenses, but I rather doubt you would get those free.

You'll probably get more posts from other members that will be of help.

Best of luck.

willie.

Pepsi Max

I don't know what's free on the NHS but I use both contacts & glasses. Glasses for day to day & daily disposable contacts for going out, sports & exercise & 3D movies :) it all depends on your lifestyle, activities & I suppose reasons for them... How bad is your sight now?

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

JohnCopus

Type of diabetes
Type 2

My eyesight isn't 2 bad but things at distance ie things like number plates are starting to go blury I was thinking about contacts because of the job I do but I've never had glasses or contacts before

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've have both. On a day to day basis I wear my glasses, but when I go on site for work I wear my contacts since the prescription safety glasses are a bit clunky and I'm pretty small!

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
I wear both too. I have to wear reading glasses for work (spend hours on end in front of 3 computers) so it's good to wear my contacts when I'm out and about.
I went to Specsavers for both. In my opinion, they offer an excellent service. My contacts last 4 weeks, and I get 3 months worth delivered to my door, with cleaning solution and lens cases thrown in. It costs me £15 a month, but I can make an appointment anytime (if I have a problem), which is free, and all my check ups are free too. Not bad really...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I've worn contacts (gas permeable) for more than 40 years. Now I have to use reading glasses over them for reading, the computer etc (Tesco's best).

I had blepharitis last year and now take my lenses out at tea-time, if I'm at home, and wear glasses for telly-watching. I can also drive in those glasses if I have to, but I can't do close work in them. I don't need glasses for that without my contacts.

I found contacts was like being given my eyesight back.

I'm on a low income so I have an HC2 "Certificate for help with health costs". Your GP/optician should have the HC1, which is the application form.

Viv 8)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

John,
Sorry, if I'm wrong but I don't think that you have been diagnosed long. It may be that the blurriness is to do with your blood glucose levels .
High glucose levels such as you had on diagnosis change the shape of the lens, some people notice it and develop blurry vision but others, especially if the onset is slow, adapt to it. As your levels become lower the lens shape goes back to what it should have been, this can cause vision to be blurred.
Most people recommend that you don't get new glasses until glucose has been stabilised.

http://www.elcloc.org/index.asp?id=40&page=113

rustyryan

I know this is a little late but I just started wearing contacts because frankly I got tired of wearing my glasses all the time.

I wear air optix night and day because they last 30 days! Definitely the best bargain out there.