1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glicazide

Discussion in 'Sulphonylureas & Prandial Glucose Regulators' started by Serena51, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My gp has put me on 80mg glicazide a day to reduce my numbers. However, when looking it up I can't find it mentioned in any of my books, Bernstein mentions gliperamide, is this the same.

Also as it encourages insulin production will it make me put on weight?

Thanks in advance

Jane

2. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Hi Jane!
    You can't find it because you're spelling it wrong. It's "Gliclazide"
    You can google it, or look it upon wikipedia
    Good luck

3. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Re: Gliclazide

I take 40 mg Gliclazide on top of 2550 mg of Metformin and have been taking it for about 18 months. I found that it lowered my fasting levels by 1 - 1.5 mmol/L. As long as you low carb, then it doesn't necessarily mean that you gain weight. I have lost a stone since Christmas by cutting carbs. The downside of gliclazide is that it makes your pancreas work harder and produce more insulin, which isn't necessarily the best thing for your worn out pancreas.

4. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

Just to confirm what Denise wrote -- I switched to Gliclazide 5 months ago and have actually lost weight since (partly by upping exercise levels). Once your numbers are down, if you can tolerate Metformin it would be better for you overall, though (for the reasons Denise gave).

5. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Although Gliclazide does often cause weight gain it doesn't always and hasn't for me over the years. I think if it does make your pancreas produce more insulin then weight gain is likely. If you have a knackered pancreas like me it has little effect on weight or insulin production

6. Serena51

Serena51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

You are so right Grazer - with the correct spelling all was revealed! If I had a brain cell it could be dangerous.lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

Don't worry! My mum always said if my brains were made of dynamite, I still couldn't blow my nose off!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook