Gliclazide and weight control

MadMat

I've not posted here for a while, but have just had a rather disappointing review.

Has anyone else experienced a large weight gain while taking Gliclazide? I was slowly but steadily losing weight until I was put on Gliclazide, since then I have put on almost 12 kilos, and am almost back to my weight at diagnosis 3 years ago.

My DN says the Gliclazide can only account for at most 2 kilos, but. I'm pretty sure I've not changed my eating habits that much, and have actually increased the amount of excersise I'm doing (mainly swimming)

It doesn't seem to be doing much towards controlling my numbers either!

Mat

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've not heard that glicizide would put weight on. But I would imagine that you are no longer low carbing.
If that's the case the increased carbs and sugars will increase the amount of glucose and glucagon, therefore increase the amount of insulin you are producing, the more insulin, the more weight, that's as basic as the science is.
I gained weight because of the extra insulin I produced, the more carbs and sugars I ate the more visceral fat.
If the meds are doing nothing for you, then speak to your doctor.

You have basically fallen off the wagon, get back on!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost all my weight whilst taking gliclizide, the only time I put a couple of pounds on was when I started having hypos and was having to eat to treat the hypo, a reduction in meds soon solved this, even on gliclizide I still have to moderately low carb at no more than 90g of carbs a day - I also have to watch my calories keeping to about 1200 - 1300 a day.

It's a fine balancing act, what are you eating, maybe dropping your carbs a little or even your calories may help, keep trying you will find your level.

If you are exercising more you may be making muscle which weighs heavier than fat, have you measured yourself or noticed a different fit in your clothes, sometimes I don't lose weight but lose inches as I tone up more

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's known that Gliclazide can cause wiehgt gain as it stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin and that converts carbs to fat in the body if excessive. The dose of Glic should be kept as low as possible consistent with keeping blood sugar in the right area; discuss with the GP if needed. Do have a low-carb diet as the implication is that your diet is carb heavy; go for 150gm day or even less?

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Glic for several years and weaned off it about a month ago once I was on enough insulin to stop it. When I first started, I gained a couple of pounds in the first month, but soon re-lost that. We titrated my dose up very gradually. The DN said I might find it a smidge easier to lose weight now I'm off it, but I can't say I've noticed much of a difference either way. I would never have taken it if I thought I might gain 12Kg and my DN would never have put me on it.

I'm not sure that it can account for 12Kg, I think you maybe need to look elsewhere for an explanation. I was led to believe it would only make an initial few pounds difference but would make it easier for me to gain weight at a faster rate if I didn't continue to be careful with food, So did you allow your diet to slip a little thinking medication would maybe counter it? It's probably the 'that much' that's done it. ;)

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I agree with BooJewels, almost the same the as my experience with Gliclazide.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on that med and have problems losing weight
my gp and DN don,t seem to be worried

MadMat

I have asked to come off it, I'm now taking a low dose of empagliflozin alongside the glic as my DN wanted to see that I didn't suffer from some of the nasty side effects that can have, with a view to fully switching in a few weeks.

One good thing came out of the review - my DN said a taxi driver on glic should be testing regularly, and gave me a meter and a repeat prescription for strips!

Mat