Gliclazide or glimepiride

alpha7

Seeing the GP this afternoon. My BG reading is 11.2 - even though my last HBa1c was "only" 5.7 and done only 1 month ago. If I am told I have to go on
gliclazide or glimepiride, which should I choose? I haven't a clue - except have been told glimepiride is the best one.

If so what would be a starting dose? Needless to say I'm scared witless. My feet have been feeling cold for a few weeks now (even though they are not) and had painful stinging in the legs - but I also have a lower back problem so is a bit complicated.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome.Is there any reason why you are expecting to go onto one of the 'ides'? Gliclazide is the more commonly prescribed of the two I believe. I'm not sure why, but Google the web and it will almost certainly compare the two. Either of these drugs are not a problem, but if the dose is too high and you still have some pancreatic function they can cause hypos so check you blood sugar. For info, these drugs are of most use when you are slim and possibly LADA. If overweight then Metformin can be more useful.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Seeing the GP this afternoon. My BG reading is 11.2 - even though my last HBa1c was "only" 5.7 and done only 1 month ago. If I am told I have to go on
gliclazide or glimepiride, which should I choose? I haven't a clue - except have been told glimepiride is the best one.

If so what would be a starting dose? Needless to say I'm scared witless. My feet have been feeling cold for a few weeks now (even though they are not) and had painful stinging in the legs - but I also have a lower back problem so is a bit complicated.

Before going on either of these drugs I would ask for blood tests to see if you actually have T1.

This is a personal opinion, but I would rather go on insulin than these other drugs, and it may only need to be temporary. Reducing carbs is the key to getting BGs down in T2, not medication. More info about insulin here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

G

graj0

Seeing the GP this afternoon. My BG reading is 11.2 - even though my last HBa1c was "only" 5.7 and done only 1 month ago. If I am told I have to go on gliclazide or glimepiride, which should I choose? I haven't a clue - except have been told glimepiride is the best one.

When was your BG reading 11.2? A bit more info would be useful. How many carbs are you eating?

Both drugs cause the pancreas to create more insulin, both have side effects. It seems that manufacturers cover their backsides by including absolutely everything under the sun when looking at side effects, I just had a quick Google.

From my own experience of Gliclazide, I gained 10kgs without trying, I wasn't eating more or exercising less, in fact eating less didn't seem to help.

Both will mean, as does taking insulin, that you will have to be very careful about hypos, if you're in the UK you'll have to be more aware of what your BG is doing before driving.

An HbA1c of 5.7 sounds good, but if high spot readings are usual, you must be having some lows somewhere.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I am told I have to go on gliclazide or glimepiride, which should I choose?

My understanding is that Metformin is the usual first line treament for diabetes, unless there is some reason you are not on it.

What is worrying is that the two drugs you mention belong to the group known as sulfonylureas.

These are the NICE recommended second line treatments. In a recent letter to the Lancet, a group of doctors criticised the guidelines and suggested that sulfonylureas were used basically because they are cheap, and not necessarily because they are best for the patient.

Sulfonylureas force the pancreas to produce more insulin. In doing so they may cause further damage and loss of function. They cause weight gain, so increasing insulin resistance, so requiring more medication. They increase the risk of heart problems. They can cause hypos.

Surely there must be safer alternatives.

Reactions: 2 people