Gliclazide

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi all I have some questions regarding this drug.

How long do I need to take it to see results?
I'm on 2 x 40mg (morning and night)

How many points down will this bring my glucose levels?
(I'm low carbing too as an experiment in the past fortnight 150g now down to 50g in the last 3 days but my readings still range from 9/10 to post meal 13/14, once last week I got from 8 fasting to 15! however before medication they were mostly like fasting 11/13 to most meals 15/16).

Many thanks

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Gliclazide: Dose
Initially, 40–80 mg daily, adjusted according to response; up to 160 mg as a single dose, with breakfast; higher doses divided; max. 320 mg daily

Sub-section

Gliclazide (Non-proprietary)
Tablets, gliclazide 40 mg, net price 28-tab pack = £3.36; 80 mg, 28-tab pack = £1.05, 60-tab pack = £1.49

Above is a section from the latest BNF so if needed your GP could increase the dose. He/she could also prescribe the larger tablet and significantly cut costs.
The treatment did not agree with me so I was soon off it and onto other meds.

londoner

As you might have seen, I am having problems with this medication. I have taken myself off it and feel a lot better. I had some repaglinide left and have gone back on them. Don't know what the GP will say next week when I have my appointment.

What side effects did you have?

Sanober

Dislikes
Hi Londoner, I didn't get any side affects. It just wasn't doing anything.

It nudged down my post meal readings by a few points but then I was back up in the double figures again. I gave it 10 days and complained to the snotty consultant who told I had to stay on them for at least 3months.

It did stop me peeing all the time though :clap:

I turned out to be Type 1.5/LADA a few weeks later. After I asked the consultant to do an anti-GAD test which was positive. So Gliclazide wouldn't have been any use anyway and the consultant advised I come off it. I'm on insulin now.

Hope you get the right medicine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sanober

Do you mind me asking how old you were when LADA was finally diagnosed? As
you can see from my signature I'm suspicious I'm one of these DB variants as my 3 level meds aren't working and with 360gm of Glic I never go near a hypo so I appear to have few remaining pancreatic cells left to stimulate. I'm 67 (60 when diagnosed) so assumed to be the usual T2 without any tests.

Sanober

Dislikes
Hi Diabell sorry I never came back to this post.

I was diagnosed at 34, now nearly 35. I'm sure there's a T1.5/LADA lady her who was diagnosed in her 50s.

kempa

Re: Gliclizide

I was told to stay on gliclizide even though I had an adverse reaction and it was having no effect on readings which were around 15-25 fasting and I was having stomach cramps which were getting worse - in the end my liver swelled and I had a hepatitis reaction which it seems was a throwback to hepatitis I had 25 years ago - the dr told me to stop taking gliclizide for a week and then restart but I refused so the nurse has given me a different medication - I was already taking 4 metformin a day - thankfully now the gliclizide is out of my system and the new meds have kicked in my blood sugars are back to a manageable 7-8 a day (fasting)