Gliclazide

Cosy

I am Type 2 diabetic on Metformin and Actos at the moment. I was at the diabetic clinic a few weeks ago, before I went I had been on holiday eating rubbish and even for a good few weeks before that was eating a lot of rubbish, there fore my sugar levels were quite high. For the last six weeks I have been eating sensibly and lost 1/2 stone. Before my levels were between 10 and 15 over the last few weeks have gone done to between 5 and 9. I have just received a letter from GP stating that doctor at diabetic clinic wants me to go on 1/2 a Gliclazide tablet over and above what I am taking now. I DONT WANT ANY MORE TABLETS I want to try and sort myself out with food and excersize. Do I HAVE to go on this just because doctor says so. I have an appointment with my GP on Friday to discuss but just wondered if any of you have any thoughts on the matter. It really depressed me when I got this letter as I thought I was finally getting control of my health as my cholesterol and blood pressure are now normal etc. :x

chocoholic

Well, from what I've read on the forum, some folks have stood their ground over upping/changing medication but it's a tricky one to answer because we are all different and different types of medication will work differently on different people. (Sorry to use the word different so often but it's the one that I needed to make the point.)
Looking back, when I was put on Gliclazide on day one of diagnosis, I wish I'd been more assertive. I did ask if I could try diet and exercise route first but was given a blunt no. Likewise, when she wanted to put me on insulin a year later, I asked her not to but was told there was no alternative.Knowing what I do now from information on this forum, I would definitely, if in the same position now, fight tooth and nail against those things but I trusted my "medical carers" to know what they were doing.On diagnosis, most us do.

Cosy

From feedback from some of my friends when they were put on Insulin they wished they had been done som long before instead of trying new medication, mabey I would feel the same dont know. Just feel that two years ago I was on no mediation now I am on so many and I feel it is a case of 'what age are you'? Oh well you should be on this and that - not the diabetic medication I know that is probably necessary - I am going to try and stick to my guns at least until my next appointment at the hospital which is December, I think my GP might be okay with my wishes as he knows me best but the Dr at hospital will not be the same unless my sugar levels are well down by the time I go to him without going on the Gliclazide. Thanks for replying. :D

Cosy

Well back from GP and he says I dont need to go on this at the moment. I have to see how things go in the next three months if sugar levely still go down etc might not need any more medication which will be great. Gives me an incentive to keep up with the sensible eating plan etc.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I ditched the gliclazide over a year ago, when I figured out I couldn't lose weight whilst on it. It's a sulphonylurea and as such flogs the beta cells into producing even more insulin. I have no evidence, but I suspect that treatment with this stuff will speed up the "inevitable" progression of the diabetes.
I'll never go back to it.
If you must have an insulin secrtetologue over and above what you're on already, ask about Starlix. It has only a very short period of activity. It's not used much. but is pretty good.
If you are not controlling the BGs, perhaps you are a candidate for Byetta. they don't like prescribing it, because it costs! Gliclazide is cheap. On the whole though, I find keeping the "input" under control, more satisfactory than"mopping up" with meds

Cosy

Well the weight issue was one of the reasons I did not want to go on it. I am trying to loose some weight, I have lost 1/2 stone so far over about six weeks, think the fact that I am taking Actos slows it down. The letter I got from the doctor in the clinic said on it 'hopefully you will not have any weight gain with this medication ' the fact that he had to mention that was enough for me because to me that means ' you will probably put on weight with this medication'.

I am 58 and I just feel that it is a case of they ask 'what age are you' - 'Oh you should be taking this or that for blood pressure/cholesterol etc. Hopefully I can take control of my own health mabey a bit late but we will see. :)

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
For whatever the reasons your Doc thinks that it would be of use. Why not try it for a month or so and see what the outcome is? If you gain weight, or do not lose, with no other changes in medication or diet then you can perhaps more comfortably say that you do not wish to continue with the prescription - and have some evidence, weight gain or whatever, to justify your decision. You might then ask why it was thought necessary and if there is an alternative, and not necessarily just a substitute.

I take 2*500 Metformin each day. When I hit the target Hba1c in the 4-6 range I asked the Consultant if I could stop the medication. She said that she would prefer that I continued and explained why, but added that the GP might want to reconsider if I got closer to 5. I am currently 5.2, but was persuaded that there were benefits for me in the longer term of continuing with the dose of Metformin. I should add that my GP does not change any current medication or prescribe new/alternative medication without a referral to the Consultant 9 (and the GP is a T2 diabetic).

crewegirl

I take 3 gliclazide a day! aswell as metformin and I've not put any weight on at all.When I was first diagnosed (3 years ago) I lost 4 stone. Since then I've kept at 10 stone.I'm quite amazed but those are the facts.Mind you, I think when I go back to the docs in 3 weeks time I will be put on insulin.
Reading some of the posts on here suggests that insulin makes you put weight on.Is this correct?
Also can anyone enlighten me as to what to expect when I go be put on insulin for the first time. Thanks. x

JAD337

It sounds like your doctor is reacting to the period where your sugar control was poor and he/she has assumed that it was due to your diabetes progressively getting worse rather than you not exercising tight control. Like you, I wouldn't necessarily want to go on to an additional drug, but I might well take the prescription and decide later whether to use it or not.

I have been on gliclazide since my diagnosis in 2004. I have lost weight ever since diagnosis, but I have never ever been overweight. Consequently I am now underweight! You might find it interesting to read the discussion thread entitled "Success Stories". It may give you some ideas about how to reduce your weight. My entry there also describes how I have now got to the stage of moving from tablets to insulin injections.

All the best with your diabetes and weight control.

Katharine

You may wish to consider a low carb diet. This can help you:

lose weight
get normal blood sugars with no need for additonal medications.

Basically you cut out sugars and starches and eat more non starchy vegetables and protein.

The course at http://www.dsolve.com can help. (But the site was not working correctly today !)

Other books are Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution. This tells you everything you need to know. You can usually get very good results even if you are not as strict as he suggests.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr said:
I ditched the gliclazide over a year ago, when I figured out I couldn't lose weight whilst on it. It's a sulphonylurea and as such flogs the beta cells into producing even more insulin. I have no evidence, but I suspect that treatment with this stuff will speed up the "inevitable" progression of the diabetes.
I'll never go back to it.

Did you manage to lose weight after you stopped the Gliclazide? In November last year my GP put me onto Gliclazide (already on Metformin) and I put on a stone in weight almost overnight. I have been battling with my weight most of my life (am 56) and I find myself in a very vicious circle at the moment - more weight puts blood pressure & cholesterol up etc. etc. I am due to have blood test at the end of this month and I have been discussing with my nurse about trying Byetta instead of the Gliclazide. Did you go on to another drug when you stopped the Gliclazide?

I have been diagnosed 3 years now and I am still struggling trying to come to terms with it. I would value any comments to help me.

Jay3109

I have been taken off Gliclazide recently after my diabetic nurse said that she would never recommend it to her patients as it gradually kills off whatever insulin producing cells I might have left!! But as anyone who has spent even 5 minutes reading these forums probably realises, sometimes there is just no absolute right or wrong answer...if only there were... :shock:
It was replaced with Glimepiride by the way...

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodness me - I am even more determined to get off the Gliclazide now! As far as weight increase goes I did discover that when Gliclazide is taken with Metformin the Metformin is likely to cause and increase whereas on its own it doesn't!!

I started off on one 80mg Gliclazide which after 3 months was increased to two and eventually three about 4 months ago. I have been thinking that my numbers are not going down and I have been taking more pills - you have given me the answer - I am horrified. I am not under diabetic nurses but the nurse at my GP practice is very good.

Many thanks for your input. :roll:

Thirsty

Gliclazide has worked extremely well for me; I lost an unwanted 4 stone within months of beginning treatment, and both my weight and bg levels have remained stable at a safe level ever since. (Of course, this could also have been due to sticking rigidly to the recommended diet.) Also, I haven't experienced any unpleasant side effects, which many report when using Metformin and other oral meds.

Perhaps it's a little early to consign the drug to the realm of medical history?

Cosy

I have not gave up completely on this, it is just I am trying not to have to take any more medication. I feel they just hit you with more and more medication. I am trying to loose weight and eat sensibly before having to take this. Time will tell they have given me three months to see how things go.