1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gliclazide!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Jaxx01, May 15, 2014.

1. Jaxx01

Jaxx01 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me again. Sorry :( those who were prescribed gliclazide how long before you noticed a difference in you blood sugars? Basically how long before im likely to feel a tad bit better :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. RachelleMorgan

RachelleMorgan Type 2 · Newbie

Iv been on Gliclazide for 2 weeks now and am hoping to see a change in my blood sugars. How long have you been on it for hunni?

3. Jaxx01

I only started yesterday lol but my docs suggested that I may not actually be type 2 so im wondering how long it takes...im guessing itll be a few days before its in my system and kicking in :/ just hope it works xx

4. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

When you say they don't think your type 2 do they think your type 1? Gliclizide had no effect on me until I went on to Victoza then It dropped over night, and had to come off gliclizide due to hypos

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
    Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

5. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

I was similar. I was initially diagnosed T2 and put on a balsa insulin & gliclazide. Didn't do the trick and after further tests found out I was T1.

6. Jaxx01

Mo1905 in all seriousness im.pretty sure im.headed in same direction. Im 33, not overweight and my hba1c has gone from 6.5 to 10.9 in little under a year despite 4 x metformin a day. Trying the gliclazide as a last ditch effort I think. Thts the impression I got anyway lol

7. Jaxx01

Thats interesting Crimsonclient. Ive heard about Victoza but have no idea what it is. Could this maybe be the other injectable medication they mentioned to me yesterday?

8. John_ch

John_ch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, when I went on to Glicazide, it was 2 or 3 weeks before I started to notice the drop in my readings. I don't know if it's the same for everyone?
    My practice nurse was speaking about Victoza last time I was in. It's a non insulin injection that's given once a day. I think she said it works similar to the Glicazide by stimulating your body's insulin.

9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. It sounds like you may well be a Late onset T1 candidate. Victoza is normally for those who have excess weight. I found Gliclazide full dose worked a bit for a while but as the islet cells fade away it can't help. If Glic doesn't help after a few weeks then do ask for the two T1 tests, GAD and c-peptide. Either way I'm afraid insulin may be the right treatment but it's not as bad as it may sound and does the trick

10. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

It could be Victoza or byetta they could be on about, I am now on insulin and Victoza, as someone says Victoza is mostly given to people with excess weight, however I have seen people that are type 1 that's on Victoza,

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
    Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

11. happy girl 1949

happy girl 1949 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am on glixazide as well and it does not seam to be working for me don't know when it will start, I take 2in the morning does anyone know how many you can take

12. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

...I guess we're all different, I took gliclazide when I was first diagnosed and it worked instantly, and far too well, so I went on to diet only for quite a few years..

13. Jaxx01

I am on the max dose of 4 x day. Ive been on them 5ish weeks and still my levels are around 8/9 post meal and im low carbing :/ I have until the 9th july to get my hba1c down to 48 or im facing insulin :(

14. destiny0321

destiny0321 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all. I am on glizlizide 80mg x 1 morning, 80mg x1 evening sugars still high

15. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack your thread, I've been on gliclizade for 3 months, due to go back for me Hba1c within the next couple of weeks, I know my levels have come down, but I'm a big girl, was losing weight nicely but have put a stone back on which I'm not happy about, can anyone suggest what I should ask the DN for a change to?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook