Gliclazide

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I was started on Gliclazide a week ago and my levels are getting better, is this known to work this fast?

I am on this for another week and am then switching to Metformin and reducing the Gliclazide gradually and then stopping it

Thanks

Deb

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

I was started on Gliclazide a week ago and my levels are getting better, is this known to work this fast?

I am on this for another week and am then switching to Metformin and reducing the Gliclazide gradually and then stopping it
Yep, Gliclazide stimulates your pancreas to release more insulin, so it starts working pretty much straight away.

When I was diagnosed they first put me on Metformin for about 3 weeks and it did absolutely nothing. I was pretty annoyed that the doctor didn't use something stronger from the start, because my levels were in the high 20's and my health was deteriorating FAST!

After about 3 weeks I started on Gliclazide and my levels dropped from 25 to about 12 in a day or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Uart :) That solves that one for me

I am not looking forward to going over to metformin but will see how it goes.

Deb

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Gliclazide is mainly of use for those who are early days late onset T1 as their pancreas may be starting to fail. Metformin is of more use for T2s. Yes, Gliclazide works almost immediately. What is your diabetes diagnosis and what is your weight like?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Have you taken metformin before? Slow release seems to be better for side effects. If you still have bad side effects on SR, I would stop taking it. The doctor will just have to find another medication to try.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your replies. I am type 2, I am overweight and have Hypothyroidism and have a long history large amounts of steroids. My Doc said that the latest thinking is that they start you on Gliclazide for two weeks after diagnosis in order to bring your levels down quickly and then transfer you gradually to Metformin and reduce the Gliclazide and stop it after 2 weeks.

I am happy to give Metformin a go as I realise there are benefits, I will see how it goes :)

Deb

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank you for your replies. I am type 2, I am overweight and have Hypothyroidism and have a long history large amounts of steroids. My Doc said that the latest thinking is that they start you on Gliclazide for two weeks after diagnosis in order to bring your levels down quickly and then transfer you gradually to Metformin and reduce the Gliclazide and stop it after 2 weeks.

I am happy to give Metformin a go as I realise there are benefits, I will see how it goes :)

Deb
Are you worried about getting side effects from the Metformin? I would say if you have never tried it you don't know if you will get side effects. Hopefully you won't.

Or are you not looking forward to it because you don't think it will help enough? Depending on how things go, you might not even need Metformin, once your blood glucose levels are low enough.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not too concerned about taking it, I am just pleased at the thought of these symptoms going! I hope that it will be a short-term thing and I will be off meds at some point :)

Deb

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glicizide will help short term to get blood glucose levels down, but it is your diet that will keep it down. Not meds. Eating low carb will really help get you in control and help if you have weight issues.
Increasing your exercise especially walking will help with your levels as well.
Reduce your carbs and sugars!

Welcome to the forum.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Deb
Sounds fairly logical and interesting. I've been on full dose Metformin SR for 10 years and not a day's problem. We're all different but go to SR version if you can. It costs a bit more but not that much.