Gliclazide

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over the last few weeks my levels have been creeping up for no discernable reason, going from almost always being between 4 and 8 mmol/L to almost always being 10 - 13 mmol/L with absolutely no change to diet or routine. My hba1C has increased from 5% to 8%. I've been on metformin for 8 years and have now started on 40mg of gliclazide twice a day also. I've been on the gliclazide for a few days now, and I'm seeing no change in my levels. How long should I give it before I go back to the doctor? Any advice?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It may be that the 80mg/day is not enough if you have a failing pancreas as I did. I ended up on 320gm/day and even that failed eventually but it gave me a few years. Gliclazide should work within a day or two so I would go back to the GP within a month if you remain in the teens on the meter.

Reactions: 2 people

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice - I guess I'll give it a couple of weeks and make another appointment there's no improvement. That said, I checked my BG after walking the dog this afternoon and it had gone down to 8.5.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A walk is a most relaxing way of lowering your blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 2 people