Gliclazide

belfastbrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,
This is the first question I have asked. I was diagnosed T2 just before Christmas last year, and joined this site, having read a lot of other people's posts, I want to applaud all you wonderful people for rallying around and helping each other out.

so as for my question, when I was diagnosed they immediately put me on metformin 500mg, didn't help so they increased to 1000, and finally 2000mg this played havoc with me so I stopped taking it, I couldn't concentrate and was falling asleep at work. When I told my GP about this they just seemed to increase my dose, so I stopped taking it and tried to control by diet alone... Stupid I know. So. Since May no mess, just had a blood test and hba1c was 100.... Oops, well long story short, my BG is between 13 and 18 first thing in the morning seems to spike anything up to 28 during the day.... My carb intake is very low so I don't understand these readings.... I have swapped GP and had an appointment this am, we had a good discussion and he has started me on Gliclazide 80mg. Has anyone been on this, is it good..... I would love to hear others experiences with it, or advice on what I can do to get it lower. Many thanks in advance and good luck to all

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
This is the first question I have asked. I was diagnosed T2 just before Christmas last year, and joined this site, having read a lot of other people's posts, I want to applaud all you wonderful people for rallying around and helping each other out.

so as for my question, when I was diagnosed they immediately put me on metformin 500mg, didn't help so they increased to 1000, and finally 2000mg this played havoc with me so I stopped taking it, I couldn't concentrate and was falling asleep at work. When I told my GP about this they just seemed to increase my dose, so I stopped taking it and tried to control by diet alone... Stupid I know. So. Since May no mess, just had a blood test and hba1c was 100.... Oops, well long story short, my BG is between 13 and 18 first thing in the morning seems to spike anything up to 28 during the day.... My carb intake is very low so I don't understand these readings.... I have swapped GP and had an appointment this am, we had a good discussion and he has started me on Gliclazide 80mg. Has anyone been on this, is it good..... I would love to hear others experiences with it, or advice on what I can do to get it lower. Many thanks in advance and good luck to all

My mother is diabetic (has been since 2002). Her BG was in the 20's. They put her on Metformin, which didn't agree with her (constant diarrhoea and being sick) She kept telling the doctor who just nodded but did nothing. After a year she said she'd had enough and was refusing to take any more. They put her on 4 X 80mg Gliclazide, 2 on a morning, 2 at night (this is the maximum dose), they also put her on Avandia (which she was taken off when it was banned). Her BG was higher on the Gliclazide than when she was on the metformin, which is why they put her on the Avandia as well. At that time though, she was seeing a dietician who was telling her to eat plenty of bananas, baked beans and potatoes, which would explain her high BG levels! She is still taking the same dose of Gliclazide today, her last hba1c was classed as satisfactory (6.4)

Mafat

Belfastbrett

Glad that you have asked very meaningful questions. I am absolutely confident & convinced that one can reverse the T2 with three fold strategies & they are LCHF- Intermittent Fasting & Exercise. Most likely you have insulin resistance & according to Dr.Fung if you have Insulin Resistance & if your doctor has prescribed Gliclazide it will increase your level of Insulin in blood & your doctor will keep on increasing doses.

In my case my doctor wanted me to take Gliclazide & Metformin & I decided not to take Gliclazide & started Low Carb Diet & Fastings & resultantly my 20 years old T2 is fully under control. You can do this too if you take full control of your health.I am sure you will have many questions & every members will be ready to provide answers & supports 24X7.

Read this topic :
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...0-16-8-5-2-24-hr-fast-20-hr-fast.79549/page-5

SNR #18: Dr. Jason Fung ~ Blood sugar, fasting & why we've got it wrong

Episode #18 - In this episode we discuss: How blood sugar is regulated when everything is working as it should What exactly blood sugar dis-regulation is: diabetes, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance Why type 2 diabetes is NOT a disease of blood sugar What's causing insulin resistance How intermittent fasting can actually be a good idea for diabetics Why diabetes may actually be curable Whether ketogenic or low-carb diets are necessary for diabetics The types of carbohydrates that should be prioritized

LISTEN THE ENTIRE PODCAST-DR.JASON FUNG-

http://podbay.fm/show/857888327/e/1406613600?autostart=1

M.Patel

Last edited by a moderator:

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Hi, my personal experience of gliclazide is that it will lower your BG levels far more effectively than metformin. Metformin has more to do with liver function I believe but ,as always, I will be happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better. One thing I do know about gliclazide is that it can cause weight gain, my advice would be to keep the carbs low, watch your weight and take the meds prescribed.Good luck!

belfastbrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many thanks chri5 and all, I will take all advice on board, I look forward to the day I can pass some advice to someone else. Good luck to all and thanks again