1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glucolab meter

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by claymic, Feb 13, 2015.

1. claymic

claymic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi I have received a letter today from my GP stating they are changing my meter and now will only prescribe strips and lancets for this glucolab meter.

Has anyone been using this meter and what are people s opinion of it.

Thanks
    Claudette

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I'll bump your post up for possible replies @claymic

• Like Like x 2
  3. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

sorry i havn,t used that one

4. rubold

rubold Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It Needs a much larger blood drop than most other test strips. It is from the same Korean source as the Element meter that had very poor accuracy in a independent test report comparing 43 meters.

5. borderter

borderter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Liked the design but it lacked accuracy

6. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I tried it out of fairness when my practice switched, but found it inaccurate. In my opinion, it is not suitable for insulin users as it gives a consistently higher reading . So you can be having full blown hypo symptoms and according to the meter, your bloods are in the normal range :confused: . As I bolus using a BG reading as part of the calculation for dosage, I found I was hypo more often ( but not according to the **** meter :banghead: )

It also wasted a lot of test strips due to error messages, and the strips come in tubs of 25, not 50. So my first script was for 25 strips, which last me only a few days .

I did argue for the reinstation of my Contour XT strips, using evidence from my readings before and after using the Glucolab, and had assistance from my hospital DSN who prescribed the Contour . My strips were changed back to the Contour ones and a minimum amount of 200 .

I'm my opinion, as a cost saver, this meter doesn't save money due to the unacceptably high wastage of test strips. For use with insulin calculations, it is dangerous . To be fair, my practice have taken my concerns on board , and will not be prescribing this model as a standard one any more, instead prescribing the Wavesense Jazz. I understood from my meeting with the practice manager, that there is some flexibility in allowing insulin users to continue using their current meter if it is on a list of cost effective meters. Contour and the Freestyle are OK, but one I remember not being on that list was the Accucheck Mobile .

Of course, it's different in each area:rolleyes:

Signy

• Like Like x 2
  7. neverforever

neverforever Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    This is the only meter ive ever had given from my gp. So I don't know any different, It appears to have been fine for me. Im a good bleeder too. (Just looking at comment further down about needing more blood). :)

8. BigRedSwitch

BigRedSwitch Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. claymic

Well as per the letter I received it indicated that they will only prescribe strips for the meter they are providing. Getting my strips privately will cost an arm and a leg

10. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Depending on which meter you are using now, you may still be able to get the strips on prescription, but only if you ask . Shy bairns get nowt ;)

Signy

11. claymic

I have used the aviva nano for years. apparently they are changing everybody's

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook