Glucophage SR and XR

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
XR........FORTAMET. Not prescribed as yet in the UK. Not in the current BNF.

FORTAMET is a once-daily 1000 mg extended-release metformin tablet for patients with type 2 diabetes. The extended release delivery allows for consistent therapeutic drug levels resulting in effective blood sugar control in many patients with type 2 diabetes. Indicated for use by adults 17 years of age and older, FORTAMET extended-release tablets can be used either as monotherapy or in combination therapy taken once daily. FORTAMET should be taken as an adjunct to diet and exercise to lower blood glucose for patients with type 2 diabetes.

SR is also slow release or is also known as modified release. This is usually once daily but can be given on a split daily dose.

qimqim

I have been taking, for some tine, Glucophage SR. Today the chemist tried to give me Glucophage XR, by the same drug company.

I refused it, as I expect there must be some difference, not only in the expected physical outcomes, but also in the composition.

That is basically what I would like to know.

Thank you very much

qim

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Glucophage XR is not listed in the BNF so where is your chemist getting his supplies from ?

qimqim

That I do not know...

Let me explain further: what I was given were large boxes of Glucophage XR with labels on the back saying that they were Glucophage SR...

In other words, according to the chemist it was SR but packaged in the wrong boxes for some reason.

All very fishy!

qim

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This sounds more like a cheap supply from somewhere. May be genuine but I would be asking questions.

Perhaps you should consult your GP with your concerns and go to another Pharmacy.... :?: