glucose hi......ketones 3.9

elainechi

my daughter has just returned from school after horse riding......stinks of ketones......bloods as above.... eaten plenty today but confessed no insulin for 24 hr.....on novomix 30...26 am/35 pm.
have given 10 units of novarapid which has bought ketones down to 3.2...has eaten carb dinner.....do i tell to give her normal evening dose????????
also c/o abdo cramps coldness and tired x

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I know you have to give additional fast acting insulin to get blood sugars down and to get rid of the ketones. Also drink loads of water. However with ketones at this level and still at 3.2, i personally would go to hospital if no improvement in next hour. All the best.

elainechi

thanks retested...ketones now just 1mmmol/ l and bs 20...shes had dinner so decided to give the novomix....looks a lot better too!!!!!!... maybe up a few times in the night checking for hypos...
contacted hospital kids ward...explained what i had done and they ssid bring her in if loses consciousness or is sick!!!!!!
thank you for your reply.....xx

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Glad things are looking better now. As you say, make sure that her insulin is taken and check more frequently tonight. It must be tough being a parent to a child with diabetes - the balance between wanting them to have a relatively normal life and the worry about hypos, not eating, not injecting must be there at the back of your mind all the time.

You both seemed to have remained calm and coped well tonight :thumbup: . It really helps to have sites like these and people to talk to doesn't it! :thumbup: