Glucose in Urine

donnamum

I know its not a topic for polite converstaion, but I now somewhere out there someone will have something usefully to say as you haven't let me down so far.

My daughter as most of you know was diagnosed in Jan with type one and epilepse and underactive thyriod. Well she was admitted to hospital again yesterday. She felt hypo, tingling in feet, trembling hands, hot etc usuall hypo signs for her but BG 20 which as she had only just had breakfast was not to concerned about. Trembling lastes 80 minutes tinglng in leg lasted in excess of 4 hours.

It wasn't a fit as they are very different. Doc ruled out link to diabetes and epilepse, and said they felt it was stress. "STRESS" and anxiety. I know who's bloody stressed and its not her.She was perfectly calm infact they commented that her heart rate was low. She had glucose in urine 4+. They said they were not worried as her BG was so high. This morning it was 3+ when her BG was 4. Rang hospital and they said that was fine and not to worry.

She has just started trembling again bg 7. So checked Urine..don't know why just feeling bit despreate to get to bottom of things and it had gone up to 4+ ketones normal.

Any Ideas.

lionrampant

That's all over the place, to be honest. 20 is not fine, even just after breakfast and to be 4 the next morning... ookay. I have no idea what's going on with her trembling or tingling if it's not a hypo.

Without causing you more worry I will say that diabetes is a serious pain in the ass when it comes to these situations, because you spend ages trying to prove that whatever is wrong isn't diabetes related. I'd be pushing them for more answers if I were you.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hi donnamum,
I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but some of your
daughters symptoms do match those of thyroxine overdose.

Good luck,
timo.

donnamum

She does have an underactive thyriod but is currently not on medication.

From experience if I increase carb/insulin ration from 1 unit for 20carb to 1 unit for 15 at breakfast . She is in constant hypo. She is so hungry all the time. I couldn't reduce amount of food but maybe I should change type of food. Typical breakfast. 60g cereal, yogurt, two rounds toast.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hi donnamum,
An underactive thyroid will tend to change the peak and duration of insulin.
It will tend to kick in harder and faster and then wear off quicker.
I'm not saying that the thyroid is the whole problem right now, but it will need
to be dealt with eventually as it could make control erratic.

Regards,
timo.

l0vaduck

I thought I'd just point this out in addition to what others have said - forgive me if you already know this but it's not clear from what you posted.

It's possible to have both sugar in the urine and normal or even low blood sugar because of the time delay between high blood sugar levels and sugar in the urine.

If your daughter wakes up with normal sugars, but has sugar in her urine, all that indicates is that some time since she last emptied her bladder, her sugar has been above the level at which sugar spills over into the urine (the renal threshold). If it's first thing in the morning, it might just be that she was over 10 when she went to bed.

It does sound as if she's eating a heck of a lot of carbs for breakfast - I'd have high sugars if I ate all that.