Glucose in Urine

jasperc

My 9 year old type 1 has woken up for the first time since post diagnosis with BS 256(14), it's always been around 100(5.5). :( no signs of ketones from urine dipstick test, but glucose is 2+. Going to try and flush them and bring down BS with quick acting insulin. Is glucose a worry? Any advise appreciated with the latest bump on the diabetes highway!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Normally the kidneys filter back glucose into the blood stream . When the concentration of glucose gets too high it can't do that so excess is spilled over into the urine. The level in most adults that this happens is at around 180mg/dl (10mmol/l) but can be lower in children. It's telling you what you already know that his glucose level has been high .You are doing the right thing to lower the levels. The process is dehydrating which is what causes the thirst. (he may still show some glucose in his urine after his blood glucose has gone down because the urine was 'made earlier'. )

edit: obviously keep a close eye on his levels today and if they stay elevated recheck for ketones/contact your nurse/doc for advice . The rise may be a one off, maybe something he ate earlier caused a later rise, it maybe that he is developing a cold or some sort of 'bug' or it maybe that his insulin needs are changing.

CambridgeLass

Hi. Wow, you're doing exceptionally well my dear! Don't worry, a little blip is OK. (I was told you need years if uncontrolled levels for any problems.) You can give some fast acting to bring it back down. Is he feeling OK or stressed about anything? Did you do any testing in the night? Sometimes my little one will go to bed at a level say around 6 and then wake higher at 13, or maybe stay the same, can't say why. Our numbers are a bit up and down actually. How are you keeping your sons level so well?? I'm struggling to achieve single figures some days.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Could there be an infection somewhere?
Hana

jasperc

We flushed it with copious amounts of water. Very proud of my little fella drank and drank with no complaints ;) BS been higher than usual today but I'm confident getting there now. Sure it was due to too much sweet stuff at dinner yesterday with not enough insulin to cover it.