Glucose rising no more than 2-3 mil/L after a meal?

JeromeFel47

Hi all,
I’ve read online that a rise in BG even if it goes back down after, over the long term, is bad for the arteries and veins etc.
I have found that the only thing that help keep my BG stable and not spike up when I eat is exercise and if I inject Novorapid 30mins before I eat.
How do you all manage to not spike glucose more than 2-3 mmol/L? What are your tricks, what are you eating? How?
Thank you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing you are asking as a T1?
As a T2 I simply avoid carbohydrate which causes blood sugars to spike.
As a T1 the same should be true, although many T1's simply increase their insulin dose to compensate.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might help if you could fill in your profile so we know what type you are :) As it can definitely make a difference to the answer.

If you are a Type 1 some people do have to pre-bolus by quite some time to not get a huge spike - when I was using Novorapid I defintely had to pre-bolus by a good half hour in the morning and even then it would still spike before coming back down to what it should be (a number of hours later) - for T1's fast acting insulin is not as fast as naturally produced insulin (though newer ones are getting faster), it just isn't.
When I moved onto Fiasp instead of Novorapid I found it a lot better (only needed to pre-bolus by 10 mins for breakfast) - at times I was finding that Novorapid would often have me above 10 for many hours until the rest of it finally kicked in (often 4-5 hours later)

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s very individual.

I test frequently & have a detailed log of everything I eat & my ‘usual’ reaction to it. This might also include a note of any exercise before or after the meal too.

But it’s mostly just experiment, record & interpret. If I get it right it’s awesome, if I get it wrong I adjust for next time & keep adjusting until I get it right.

I still haven’t figured out the right bolus dose for my favourite pizza but it’s only once in a while & an excuse to try again lol

Reactions: JeromeFel47

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I’ve read online that a rise in BG even if it goes back down after, over the long term, is bad for the arteries and veins etc.
I have found that the only thing that help keep my BG stable and not spike up when I eat is exercise and if I inject Novorapid 30mins before I eat.
How do you all manage to not spike glucose more than 2-3 mmol/L? What are your tricks, what are you eating? How?
Thank you!

Hi,

Where are you starting from, BG wise prior to eating. & how high are you actually spiking??
Is there a certain time of the day when things go not to plan like breakfast??

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you're eating normally and using insulin, you will spike after your meals. This is because your injected insulin will not match the foods you eat as it has a fixed curve. As long as 4 hours later you return to what you were before the meals then your dose is right. I have chosen to not eat normally, LCHF, to not experience this, which isn't recommended, but tolerated by my medical team.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I pre-bolus insulin by 20-30 minutes, plus I eat low carb meals at less than 30g of carbs. Also being a bit boring and eating a lot of the same things lets you copy the insulin dose from a successful meal to another.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Your question is too vague without details as to which type of diabetes you have , what you are eating , when you are eating it, what your BG is before the meal etc. to give a proper answer.

Even normal non-diabetics tend to get a short BG spike after eating carbohydrates. Just not as high and not as long as a Type 2 would (or a Type1 who hadn't got their basal and bolus just right).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a diet controlled T2 I try to eat few enough carbs to reduce/prevent any post meal rises - and this can also apply to any potential increases within that 2 hour period after starting to eat.