Glucose tablets

pyratepete

I looked at the shop on the Diabetes UK site for glucose tablets. 79p for a tube of 10 Gluco tablets. About the same as you would pay in the high street.. However add postage and it come to £5.74!!

I searched the web and found newitts.com A pack of Lucozade (14 tablets) is 65p. With fee delivery. I boght 6 packs (agian free delivery) and the tablets were with me in 3 days.

Brilliant! Highly recommend Newitts. I am am fed being ripped off

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get Dextro orange tabs from Sainsbury's (in the vitamin section) - 1.09 for a twin pack (28 tabs) and you can buy 3 twin packs for the price of 2

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most pharmacies can get glucotabs in there 79p for 10 or 50 for under £4 depending where you go.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
try dolphinfitness.co.uk for luco tabs, about 50p per pack and free delivery I think if you spend under £9.99. Slightly cheaper, I bought 6 tubs of glucotabs from Amazon but not sure if I like the taste very much now.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Or you could buy Jelly Babys, they taste better and almost every sweet shop, garage and supermarket in the country sell them :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
Or you could buy Jelly Babys, they taste better and almost every sweet shop, garage and supermarket in the country sell them :thumbup:

Often (in the bargain shops) they are half price around 70p for a full size bag, as good as anything for treating hypo's.

alaska

The advantage of glucose tablets is that they do raise your blood sugar quickly. So for treating any hypos at work, glucose tablets get the thumbs up from me.

For any hypos just at home, I have sugar lumps. I find plain sugar takes a surprisingly long time to raise sugar levels (10-15 mins feels like an eternity time when low) but they get there in the end.

Ed

desidiabulum

Sid Bonkers said:
Sid is spot-on. They taste good, I find they act much more rapidly than Dextrose, and they are also effective way past their sell-by date (empirically proven!)

cowmigator

Dislikes
Over cooked Steak
People who faff
Travelling on busses
People driving too close
I bought jelly babies and left them in the car. They mutated into one big multi coloured monstrosity! So it was back to glucose tabs

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I might try jelly babies sometime because I'm getting bored of glucose tablets. I personally don't like the dextrose, the flavour is really poor in my opinion.

Franksie

i buy 'Glucotabs' in bulk off Amazon. They come in pots of 100 i think. I just move them across into empty tubes of 10 that i have accumulated before switching to bulk buying

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
David Mendosa wrote that the advantage of Glocotabs over sweets is that anyone you might be with doesn't expect you to share.
Hana

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Glucotabs are ideal for keeping in the glovebox, as they dont deteriorate in the heat.

Something else that you could try in the little mini cans of coke, this was one of the recommendations of my nurse

Jokeying

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found Lucuzade Sport Elite jelly beans in my local Pound Stretcher, Orange and Raspberry flavour 29p a packet I find them excellent, and have since found they sell them on Ebay albeit slightly dearer great alternative.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I do like the Dextrose Tablets Asda sell for 69p. Jelly beans great too lol

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No Tim, they are made by Dextro Energy(www.dextro-energy.com) and they are blackcurrant flavoured which is an alternative to the usual orange.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No Tim, they are made by Dextro Energy(www.dextro-energy.com) and they are blackcurrant flavoured which is an alternative to the usual orange.
Ah, they are the usual Dextrosols (old name from the eighties for them) that I buy. There's an offer on them in boots at the moment where you can get the packs of two for 99p. I have to admit to being rather fond of the Blackcurrant ones...

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah, they are the usual Dextrosols (old name from the eighties for them) that I buy. There's an offer on them in boots at the moment where you can get the packs of two for 99p. I have to admit to being rather fond of the Blackcurrant ones...
Am gonna visit Boots. Cheers Tim

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Blackcurrant is my favourite flavour too . :)
Also a kiddies sized pack of jelly babies is another
trick I use .
Especially when out walking the dogs with my hubby .
Have a couple when BG levels dip a little low .
Soon get me back to safer range .