Glucose tablets

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when I go out for a walk for example, after about 45 mins I start to go low and take a glucose tablet which helps, are these good for me?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah do the job needed so yes

are you type1 or other?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I cant answer then but I cant see why they would be bad for you? aprt from the gloucose in them but taken as a rescue measure maybe they are ok

Reactions: 2 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes they do the job, but wasn't sure if they were the wrong thing to do as they are full of sugar.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
as I say I,m not the best with type 2 as I,m type 1 and thought I knew it all until I joined the forums and now I know not alot :(

Reactions: 2 people

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Magsx1,

Basically, in this situation a glucose tablet is not bad for you. All carbohydrates (including sugar) quickly get turned into glucose by your digestive system, and pour into your bloodstream. This is why they "raise your blood sugar". However, what does you damage is high blood sugar. So if you take one tablet and your low sugar rises to a normal (non-diabetic) level, there is no problem.

However, your diet as a whole can influence your level of insulin resistance in the longer term, so if you are consuming lots of glucose tablets regularly, the picture is not so clear.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
when I go out for a walk for example, after about 45 mins I start to go low and take a glucose tablet which helps, are these good for me?
Do you test at these times or do you just feel low? Are you on any medications that can cause hypos?

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Theres no harm in taking one if you have tested your BS and it is under 4 as it is a quick fix to get your BS back in the normal range. It is important to test though as sometimes I find even though Im starting to shake ect my BS is still in the 5s and all I need to do is eat a handful of peanuts or slow down slightly and I feel better .

Reactions: 8 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you test at these times or do you just feel low? Are you on any medications that can cause hypos?
Hi, I'm one one Metformin a day, I have tested when feeling "odd" and I have been 3.6 , I have recently started the LCHF diet and have lost 10lb, but it's odd cos if I have a bad nights sleep I seem to put some back on! Or is it my imagination ? Lol

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Magsx1,

Basically, in this situation a glucose tablet is not bad for you. All carbohydrates (including sugar) quickly get turned into glucose by your digestive system, and pour into your bloodstream. This is why they "raise your blood sugar". However, what does you damage is high blood sugar. So if you take one tablet and your low sugar rises to a normal (non-diabetic) level, there is no problem.

However, your diet as a whole can influence your level of insulin resistance in the longer term, so if you are consuming lots of glucose tablets regularly, the picture is not so clear.
I only take the tablets when needed, but mainly it's when I do some sort of exercise, ie walking gardening hoovering,maybe I shouldn't work so hard!lol

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Theres no harm in taking one if you have tested your BS and it is under 4 as it is a quick fix to get your BS back in the normal range. It is important to test though as sometimes I find even though Im starting to shake ect my BS is still in the 5s and all I need to do is eat a handful of peanuts or slow down slightly and I feel better .
I'm curious about your diet? I have cut out all bread,pasta,rice,potatoes, but I do eat porridge in the morning basically because I am not really a breakfast person and can just about tolerate it to take my tablet in the mornings,
A basic days food would be
B porridge
L cheese omelette
D salmon salad, or I have had beef burger salad before, or I have chicken breast with veg (no potatoes)
I have lost 10lbs but seem to be faltering and I have at least 2 stone to go, any advice?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh! Also I have fruit salad after my Dinner

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Magsx1 you're diet seems pretty good. My only concern would be how well does your body tolerate the porridge and the fruit salad but other than that you seem to be on the right track. Also do you have any snacks during the day and do you find you get any sweet cravings ect as this was originally my downfall. I actually lost most of my weight eating to the so called healthy plate but when I was diagnosed I was so sick that I found I couldn't stand the smell of normal food, it just made me sick so I'm guessing that was a help. Since going LCHF I have found that I no longer miss the foods I used to which is great and I am building up a good recipe collection. I still like to eat sweet treats so I have found low carb sugar free recipes that I make up, cut up and keep in the freezer so I never feel like I am missing out. Trying to keep yourself on track is the biggest battle especially if others in the house don't eat the same as you do. I only weigh myself once a week on the same day as soon as I wake up as you can have so many fluctuations over a day so I would try not to stress too much about it.

In a usual day I would typically have a coffee with cream as soon as I wake up (essential, gotta have my caffeine)
Breakfast I will have a two egg omelette with a bit of bacon, broccoli and onion and cream
Snacks I will have a few peanuts
Lunch I have started to have a bit of chicken and some veges or I will have some LC baking and a coffee
Dinner is broccoli and cauliflower with a creamy sauce and some type of meat

I put out over 700 papers two times a week so I walk quite briskly and I have found if I stop periodically and have a small snack of peanuts that my BS stays fine. I had an incidence about a month ago when I didn't have many peanuts with me and I didn't eat breakfast and I actually ended up collapsing on someones doorstep so I learnt my lesson there so I always make sure to eat breakfast before I leave the house and if I am walking make sure to have a small snack every hour.

If you are finding that you are going hypo quite often it may be a sign that you may be able to come off your Metformin as this was the reason I stopped my meds but this should be discussed with your GP first.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I always have glucose tablets (dextrose or lucozade) with me at all times

I use a 'gluco-carry' capsule which holds 4 tablets in a plastic container and can be worn around the neck with a lanyard or clipped to a key ring (car keys) that way I know I am covered. I have 2 gluco carry and never leave home without at least one of them

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi 4ratbags,
Thank you for your answer, I don't snack, and I don't really miss the bread, etc although up to two weeks ago I used to eat bread and pots with almost everything, I cook separate food for my hubby, ie tonight he had a chicken roast dinner and I had a chicken salad, I'm quite enjoying the salads at the moment and at least I sort of know I'm safe with it. The fruit salad is a weakness but I never eat cakes,chocolate, not even nuts or anything so each night I make a fruit salad, tonight it consisted of fresh pineapple, grapes ,strawberries, normally it's Apple, satsumas,melon,and tinned fruit salad/pineapple, so I was hoping that fresh might be best! Having said that I have just taken a read and my BS says 8.5 I thought that was quite high so did it again within a minute it said 8.2 did it again within a minute on the other hand and it says 7.3 so now I'm really confused! As to the porridge I thought it is probably the most carbs I have in a day? But still well under the 50g that people on here talk about, am I misunderstanding it all?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cumberland,
I carry them in a bag in a tube which hold 10, I didn't know there is such a thing as a gluco carry, I will check it out as I don't need that many on me.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Cumberland, I had a look at it but they are out of stock, also I have lots of tablets from Sainsburys which are totally a different shape, but thank you I will keep my eye open for one if they come back in stock