Glucose Tolerance Test - HELP!

Cupcake01

I just got results from my fasting blood test today with a reading of 6.1. Also my thyroid is slightly under active and needs to be tested in 6 months time. I am obese and 19 also type 1&2 diabetes are in my family.
The doctor said I've to do a glucose tolerance test do determine diabetes.
My question is .. Because I fall into the pre-diabetic category, will the glucose tolerance test suggest that I am diabetic?
Also has anyone any advice or tips in regards to the glucose tolerance test?
Also could someone explain what the 6.1 result for my fasting blood test means?

Sorry for all the questions, I got a shock today and I want to be prepared!
Thanks in advance!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fast then it's obvious that unless you have another source of glucose your sugar levels will tend towards zero. Your liver keeps your blood sugar levels up in the absence of food. It's sometimes called a liver rush. Your body will try to cope with it just as if the glucose was derived from food. If your fasting level is higher than 5.5 (or 6 according to WHO) then it will attract the attention of the medics. If two such tests go over 7 then you will be diagnosed as diabetic.

The glucose tolerance test just means fasting and getting another fasting blood test and then drinking a very sweet drink of known quantity. You have to sit around for two hours because activity ruins the test. After two hours your blood sugar levels are taken again to see how you are coping with it. At the two hour mark over 7.8 puts you in the "impaired glucose tolerance" bracket and over 11.1 diagnoses you as diabetic.

Sometimes blood samples are taken every half an hour during the two hour period but not always. There are no tips on offer. Just go there, drink the drink and sit around for two hours.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You GP is being ultra cautious. Most people with a 6.1 wouldn't get nothing done at all and, in my case, come back next year. 2 fasting readings or an HBA1c reading are often used to dignose diabetes but an OGTT will provide more information as to what is going on. In all honesty, it could be nothing at all but your GP wants to be sure because of your familiy history.

Wiki has a page on the OGTT and a section which explains how the results are interpreted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_to ... TT_results

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posters. If you can reduce your weight that fasting reading should reduce anyway as being obese increases the risk of Type 2 dramatically. Reducing carbs and portion sizes should help with both weight reduction and any excess blood glucose. Don't worry about fat and proteins just focus on the carbs.