Gluten free diets/diabetes

magjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm new to this forum, Have type 2, IBS, have a benzoate allergy, and am gluten and lactose free. I've asked GP's, consultants, dieticians etc etc to help put a diet together, and have been refused by all. They say it's not possible. Any comments or suggestions????

By the way, there was chat about gluten-free bread. This will probably raise your blood sugar more than ordinary bread. A lot of gluten-free stuff is made with - wait for it!!!! - golden syrup or black treacle to help it stick together.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I know nothing about gluten free foods, but I would have thought a diet centred more around protein and fats would be OK? for example eggs and bacon for breakfast? I may be wrogn but I'm sure someon esle will contribute their knowledge.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I despair - isn't that what dieticians are supposed to do - help you with suitable diets. :wideyed:

I'd imagine that a lower carb diet but without the dairy stuff might be similar to to what you are looking for - as the foods we avoid tend to include bread, flour, pasta, cereals. And perhaps look also at vegetarian or vegan low carb diets for alternatives to fats and oils from dairy products - there are some recipes in the Low Carbs area of the forum. So basically look at the foods you can eat, and work from there.

Robbity

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Of course it's possible, they are just narrow minded and/or lazy. I would ask to see another dietician, or make a complaint to their superior. I'm pretty sure dieticians in your country will be subject to a licensing or registration requirements that they provide appropriate advice to a patient based on their needs. I don't think your needs are so challenging that they can't work with them... there are probably people with needs that are more challenging to provide a diet plan for. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many online resources for the Paleo Diet which is gluten and dairy free - also many online recipes.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi
I'm new to this forum, Have type 2, IBS, have a benzoate allergy, and am gluten and lactose free. I've asked GP's, consultants, dieticians etc etc to help put a diet together, and have been refused by all. They say it's not possible. Any comments or suggestions????

By the way, there was chat about gluten-free bread. This will probably raise your blood sugar more than ordinary bread. A lot of gluten-free stuff is made with - wait for it!!!! - golden syrup or black treacle to help it stick together.
Have you tried the Genius triple seeded loaf. I'm type 1 bit I have found no spikes with this bread.
Cooking foods from scratch and not buying the processed stuff in the free from section of super markets should make things a lot easier for you.
You can buy lactose free milk, cream, yogurt, and cheese from many supermarkets.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I'm a T1D with Celiac disease and an allergy to eggs n dairy n a host of other foods (coconut, avocado, n bananas to name a few).
It's very much possible to figure out a eating plan that will work for you and your needs.

Reactions: 2 people