1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gluten free diets/diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by magjam, Aug 4, 2015.

1. magjam

magjam Type 2 · Member

Hi
    I'm new to this forum, Have type 2, IBS, have a benzoate allergy, and am gluten and lactose free. I've asked GP's, consultants, dieticians etc etc to help put a diet together, and have been refused by all. They say it's not possible. Any comments or suggestions????

By the way, there was chat about gluten-free bread. This will probably raise your blood sugar more than ordinary bread. A lot of gluten-free stuff is made with - wait for it!!!! - golden syrup or black treacle to help it stick together.

2. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. I know nothing about gluten free foods, but I would have thought a diet centred more around protein and fats would be OK? for example eggs and bacon for breakfast? I may be wrogn but I'm sure someon esle will contribute their knowledge.

3. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I despair - isn't that what dieticians are supposed to do - help you with suitable diets. :wideyed:

I'd imagine that a lower carb diet but without the dairy stuff might be similar to to what you are looking for - as the foods we avoid tend to include bread, flour, pasta, cereals. And perhaps look also at vegetarian or vegan low carb diets for alternatives to fats and oils from dairy products - there are some recipes in the Low Carbs area of the forum. So basically look at the foods you can eat, and work from there.

Robbity

4. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Of course it's possible, they are just narrow minded and/or lazy. I would ask to see another dietician, or make a complaint to their superior. I'm pretty sure dieticians in your country will be subject to a licensing or registration requirements that they provide appropriate advice to a patient based on their needs. I don't think your needs are so challenging that they can't work with them... there are probably people with needs that are more challenging to provide a diet plan for. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

There are many online resources for the Paleo Diet which is gluten and dairy free - also many online recipes.

6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Genius triple seeded loaf. I'm type 1 bit I have found no spikes with this bread.
    Cooking foods from scratch and not buying the processed stuff in the free from section of super markets should make things a lot easier for you.
    You can buy lactose free milk, cream, yogurt, and cheese from many supermarkets.

7. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a T1D with Celiac disease and an allergy to eggs n dairy n a host of other foods (coconut, avocado, n bananas to name a few).
    It's very much possible to figure out a eating plan that will work for you and your needs.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook